Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Both batches were from eBay and I'm on my second set now

I set after the eggs have come to room temp but usually don't turn for the first few days. I have an Rcom so I can't keep the eggs upright but I'm beginning to wonder if having them on their sides makes it worse. I'm down to 3 eggs and I've decided to turn by hand for the rest of the hatch. I noticed the air cells do some weird things when the incubator turns them vs me in the first week.
I usually hatch quail and don't have much problem with them.

I did set the eggs 24 hours after they arrived and started the turner on day 1, in the incubator I used they were laying on their sides the whole time.

If you will do a third set I would recommend to sell the eggs from a reputable breeder or from private persons/ebay sellers who don't mind telling you how they keep the parents and especially what they are feeding them. From what I read and heard I personally came to the conclusion it is very important that the parents from hatching eggs are fed high quality food.
I know that this has nothing to do with bad situations while being shipped - even the best breeder or the best food does have no influence on how the eggs will be handled while shipment. I'm just mentioning it so you perhaps can reduce possible factors (sadly shipment-difficulties can't be influenced).

You wrote that you do have a reliable incubator and that you do have a lot of hatching-experience - best requirements :thumbsup
Fingers crossed for your three remaining eggs :fl
When are they due to hatch?

Took the little shoe off the baby...I don't think I helped it or I hurt it in process of removing the tape!
I don't remember if it's little toes were all to the inside like they are now or not...but it just kept pecking at its little foot. So I made a new shoe with thicker paper and tape on outside of the paper so hopefully it won't stick to it when I take it off next time.
I'm not sure it will ever be "normal".
I should have taken a pic before putting another shoe on it but I didnt.

Oh no - that's awful - what a shock...I'm so very sorry 😔 :hugs
How are the girls doing? Must have been so traumatizing 😔
Yeah it is absolutely incomprehensible how people can do this. It's so extremely careless. Really sad and infuriating!

the girls are fine now. I need to find a roo. I might have 1 or 2 among the babies but they need months to grow up. they are about 3 wo.

Took the little shoe off the baby...I don't think I helped it or I hurt it in process of removing the tape!
I don't remember if it's little toes were all to the inside like they are now or not...but it just kept pecking at its little foot. So I made a new shoe with thicker paper and tape on outside of the paper so hopefully it won't stick to it when I take it off next time.
I'm not sure it will ever be "normal".
I should have taken a pic before putting another shoe on it but I didnt.
You can soak the tape a little bit with water if needed, this can help getting it off easily - I don't know what tape exactly you have by hand, so perhaps you can try before with a piece on your own back of hand, wet it and see how this works in your case?

To me it sounds that either your baby somehow got his foot back in the curled position into the shoe or that she/he just needs some more time.
If the first would be the case -
do you have somebody to help you with putting on the shoe? I know it is not easy to do it alone.
Please apologize if I'm telling now only things you are already doing/got told already🙏 - Unfortunately I didn't have the right material to fasten the stabilizing little cardboard piece enough and as a result couldn't prevent James from escaping the shoe, so after many, many tries I ended up placing a piece of tape with the sticky side upside on a table, then made James stand with his foot spread out on it, placing gently one after one all of his toes like they would be positioned normally (at this point it was helpful that he stood on slightly sticky material, and, that I could compare with his normal foot how everything should look ), then placing a second piece sticky side down over it and pressing all the sticky parts gently together like a sandwich. One can carefully trim the edges of the 'sandwich', I had light yellow tape and in good light I could see exactly where his toenails ended.

That you got a paper/cardboard stabilizator kept in place is great! Best wishes for your little sweetie ❤️

New photo of Nova, my second gen Polkie. My daughter took this photo earlier this week. She weighs just under 2 pounds at 4 months of age and is such a sweetie. She makes the same creaking noises as her Polish grandma!😊
B943913E-A1BB-44BD-861F-A4FD101A6110.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom