Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
You can soak the tape a little bit with water if needed, this can help getting it off easily - I don't know what tape exactly you have by hand, so perhaps you can try before with a piece on your own back of hand, wet it and see how this works in your case?

To me it sounds that either your baby somehow got his foot back in the curled position into the shoe or that she/he just needs some more time.
If the first would be the case -
do you have somebody to help you with putting on the shoe? I know it is not easy to do it alone.
Please apologize if I'm telling now only things you are already doing/got told already🙏 - Unfortunately I didn't have the right material to fasten the stabilizing little cardboard piece enough and as a result couldn't prevent James from escaping the shoe, so after many, many tries I ended up placing a piece of tape with the sticky side upside on a table, then made James stand with his foot spread out on it, placing gently one after one all of his toes like they would be positioned normally (at this point it was helpful that he stood on slightly sticky material, and, that I could compare with his normal foot how everything should look ), then placing a second piece sticky side down over it and pressing all the sticky parts gently together like a sandwich. One can carefully trim the edges of the 'sandwich', I had light yellow tape and in good light I could see exactly where his toenails ended.

That you got a paper/cardboard stabilizator kept in place is great! Best wishes for your little sweetie ❤️
At first it was just the longest little toe that was bent.
I'm pretty sure I hurt it trying to get the tape off the way it squawked at me.
So after watching it peck at the little foot I noticed all of the toes are on the inside of the foot...it doesn't appear any toes are spread toward the outside.
And now the 2nd toe was bent.
So I'm not sure it will ever be normal.
My first attempt with this...maybe keeping this little baby.

At first it was just the longest little toe that was bent.
I'm pretty sure I hurt it trying to get the tape off the way it squawked at me.
So after watching it peck at the little foot I noticed all of the toes are on the inside of the foot...it doesn't appear any toes are spread toward the outside.
And now the 2nd toe was bent.
So I'm not sure it will ever be normal.
My first attempt with this...maybe keeping this little baby.
Try again, use medical paper tape, you can get this at any pharmacy. It won’t stick like regular tape will. It is made for people who have adhesive allergies. Cut out a little shoe out of card stock or very thin cardboard and put the foot back in the anatomically normal position as best you can. The earlier this gets done the better the chance the chick has to completely heal. ❤️

Try again, use medical paper tape, you can get this at any pharmacy. It won’t stick like regular tape will. It is made for people who have adhesive allergies. Cut out a little shoe out of card stock or very thin cardboard and put the foot back in the anatomically normal position as best you can. The earlier this gets done the better the chance the chick has to completely heal. ❤️
I did but not sure it is correct. I wish I could get a pic with the shoe off so u can see but I hate to undo it again. I don't wanna hurt the lil one anymore. It is the tiniest of the 4 babies BUT it is thriving just like the others so idk.

O
OMGeeze I just cut a bit of its lil toe!
Ugh I'm killing the poor baby!
It was just a hint of blood and stopped almost immediately.
I finally just got it wrapped back up in shoe. God I hope it's right!
It's walking around and everything still.

Last edited:
Here's pic of it before I got 3rd shoe on
20220223_150645.jpg

Here's pic of it before I got 3rd shoe onView attachment 3002987
What a little cutie! ..It is very difficult trying to wrap up a little tiny chickie foot! Your doing well!
Took me many attempts to get it right setting the slipped tendon problem chick, but that chick is completely normal now. I used non-stick tape from the feed store (used for horses I think), it just sticks to itself so no adhesive to get stuck on feathers/skin. Comes in all colours but black is perfect for Silkies to match their skin so not to draw attention. Hopefully your chickie will recover well after all your hard work and time, they are hardy and can survive through alot! (Blood was going everywhere when I did bumblefoot surgery, yet the hen was completely fine and even laid an egg the same day, and the next day and the next!)

What a little cutie! ..It is very difficult trying to wrap up a little tiny chickie foot! Your doing well!
Took me many attempts to get it right setting the slipped tendon problem chick, but that chick is completely normal now. I used non-stick tape from the feed store (used for horses I think), it just sticks to itself so no adhesive to get stuck on feathers/skin. Comes in all colours but black is perfect for Silkies to match their skin so not to draw attention. Hopefully your chickie will recover well after all your hard work and time, they are hardy and can survive through alot! (Blood was going everywhere when I did bumblefoot surgery, yet the hen was completely fine and even laid an egg the same day, and the next day and the next!)

Vet wrap (the adhesive tape) is a great thing to have on hand, I guess it’s also called Coban (for humans) or Vetrap (for animals)
I used to have it on hand for horses, I never thought of using it for chickens though 🤔

Back
Top Bottom