Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I did set the eggs 24 hours after they arrived and started the turner on day 1, in the incubator I used they were laying on their sides the whole time.

If you will do a third set I would recommend to sell the eggs from a reputable breeder or from private persons/ebay sellers who don't mind telling you how they keep the parents and especially what they are feeding them. From what I read and heard I personally came to the conclusion it is very important that the parents from hatching eggs are fed high quality food.
I know that this has nothing to do with bad situations while being shipped - even the best breeder or the best food does have no influence on how the eggs will be handled while shipment. I'm just mentioning it so you perhaps can reduce possible factors (sadly shipment-difficulties can't be influenced).

You wrote that you do have a reliable incubator and that you do have a lot of hatching-experience - best requirements :thumbsup
Fingers crossed for your three remaining eggs :fl
When are they due to hatch?
Next week

Well that didn't work...or did it?!
Just got up checking on babies and No shoe...anywhere!
I panicked thinking they ate it!
But then remembered it was a light colored washi so prob blends into the white paper towel. Found it!
But then I couldn't find bent toes! I knew it was the tiniest chick that had the toe problems...but it looks fine now!
So either they all got together in middle of the night and decided to get those toes straight or God fixed those little boogers for me!
Either way - I'll take it over having to torture that poor baby anymore!
Quite difficult here at first til their personalities all develop to tell who is who cuz they all look just a like!

Oh that is wonderful they straightened up! Sometimes it just takes a little while in the right position for them to correct themselves. 🥰

What did Ezzie get for her 1 week birthday? 6 new sisters. Picked up 3 Buff orp and 3 Cinnamon Queen siblings this afternoon for her.
View attachment 3005023View attachment 3005024

Aww I'm so glad Ezzie has some buddies now! They are all adorable! ❤️

I don’t have much Silkie related going on right now! I have been so focused on all my other chickens that they’ve been sort of under the radar. Betty and Fuzzy came out from their broody box for a bit today, but not for long. They’re so funny when they leave the box…they both run around squawking and eating and drinking and peck at those in their way…and then back to the box! 😆 I feel like they’re saying “Outta my way!! I got food to eat and water to drink before those babies get cold! Move! Don’t bother me I have important business!” 😁 The way they sort of seem frantic just makes me giggle 😁 Molly and Ally (bantam Cochins) have opted to join them a few times…it’s really quite adorable 🥰

Sia and Cher have been steadily growing more confident and both now leave the coop on their own! I still have to put them to bed though 🤦🏼‍♀️ I thought they might follow Elsafish’s lead at night, but nope. All four of the tiny birds huddle in a corner under my Agapanthus plants at night time instead of going into the coop. Elsafish is much more confident and knows the deal. We’ve been at this whole thing for a while now! Haha. I have even trimmed their head feathers twice! They’re very unsure of the ramp…I’m guessing ramps were not a thing in their first coop! Millie and Bella seem confused by the ramp too…going down is okay now but up is apparently very difficult!

And my Polish eggs are looking good so far! Looks like all 6 Tolbunt are developing and one of the Candy corn eggs. They are at Day 12 now! And the d’Uccles are at Day 10 and 5 of the 14 shipped eggs look good. So if all goes well I’ll have 12 beebies by March 8. One of the d’Uccles seems behind the other in development so hopefully it catches up!

Attachments

• 8ABD88B7-4FF3-43FE-88BD-E643E7DD8555.jpeg
    8ABD88B7-4FF3-43FE-88BD-E643E7DD8555.jpeg
    609.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 474D06FD-7B90-497D-A59B-EB3D5B56037A.jpeg
    474D06FD-7B90-497D-A59B-EB3D5B56037A.jpeg
    470.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 98D4229B-E404-4C00-A9F2-C00CDF3775A3.jpeg
    98D4229B-E404-4C00-A9F2-C00CDF3775A3.jpeg
    558 KB · Views: 1
  • 34885CAA-3456-4359-9822-E3BE4E2D59F3.jpeg
    34885CAA-3456-4359-9822-E3BE4E2D59F3.jpeg
    587.5 KB · Views: 1
  • A1CFBCF1-7BC0-418A-8E2C-B26A584C07C3.jpeg
    A1CFBCF1-7BC0-418A-8E2C-B26A584C07C3.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 1
I don’t have much Silkie related going on right now! I have been so focused on all my other chickens that they’ve been sort of under the radar. Betty and Fuzzy came out from their broody box for a bit today, but not for long. They’re so funny when they leave the box…they both run around squawking and eating and drinking and peck at those in their way…and then back to the box! 😆 I feel like they’re saying “Outta my way!! I got food to eat and water to drink before those babies get cold! Move! Don’t bother me I have important business!” 😁 The way they sort of seem frantic just makes me giggle 😁 Molly and Ally (bantam Cochins) have opted to join them a few times…it’s really quite adorable 🥰

Sia and Cher have been steadily growing more confident and both now leave the coop on their own! I still have to put them to bed though 🤦🏼‍♀️ I thought they might follow Elsafish’s lead at night, but nope. All four of the tiny birds huddle in a corner under my Agapanthus plants at night time instead of going into the coop. Elsafish is much more confident and knows the deal. We’ve been at this whole thing for a while now! Haha. I have even trimmed their head feathers twice! They’re very unsure of the ramp…I’m guessing ramps were not a thing in their first coop! Millie and Bella seem confused by the ramp too…going down is okay now but up is apparently very difficult!

And my Polish eggs are looking good so far! Looks like all 6 Tolbunt are developing and one of the Candy corn eggs. They are at Day 12 now! And the d’Uccles are at Day 10 and 5 of the 14 shipped eggs look good. So if all goes well I’ll have 12 beebies by March 8. One of the d’Uccles seems behind the other in development so hopefully it catches up!
How exciting!! I cannot wait to see these babies :celebrate

Such cuties!
I had to put my ramp on hold due to unexpected surgery.
I wonder if mine will ever get the hang of it once it is done!

My little silkie babies that I got last week are doing great! Very active littles!!! They are so cute when they all pile on top of each other in a sleep pile! I have a stock tub that I'm keeping them in on one side and some 4 week olds on the other so I divided it with a shirt like a curtain. The little babies love it! They all want to sleep on the soft cozy blanket!!!🥰

Attachments

• 20220226_102742.jpg
    20220226_102742.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 2
My little silkie babies that I got last week are doing great! Very active littles!!! They are so cute when they all pile on top of each other in a sleep pile! I have a stock tub that I'm keeping them in on one side and some 4 week olds on the other so I divided it with a shirt like a curtain. The little babies love it! They all want to sleep on the soft cozy blanket!!!🥰
Awe! They r precious!

Back
Top Bottom