Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I suspected they were female. It was more for confirmation. I have been recording data on my chicks to see if certain indicators early on can help me determine gender. Weight at hatch seems to be a factor, everything else being equal (same parents for example). Behavior can be an indicator, but I do not find it to be reliable. The little Hanabi baby (this chick needs a name...🤣), has the exact personality of her mother, which in any other chick would have me thinking male, but Hanabi was just like this as a chick personality wise.😊

If either had ended up being male, I would have to sell it as such.

I feel as a breeder, once you know the gender of your chicks, you can no longer sell them as "straight run". Integrity is important for your reputation, especially in a small community like mine. There are breeders on the mainland who sell "DNA guaranteed pullets" for quite a bit of money, upwards of $100 or more, and then give the males away for free or for very little. I have thought about doing this, though it would not really be cost effective and then you end up with a lot of extra boys. There are also only a handful of people I know of that would pay $100 for a chicken.😊
Yeah I completely agree with you.
Until the crow or an egg never have real confirmation of sex. I'm not going to do vent sexin and unless I am in luv and definitely gonna keep I'm not gonna pay for the DNA though it is good to know you had good results with IQ Bird Testing.
I'll definitely keep that on hand for next time I fall in luv!
I'm really unsure bout these 4 I have from you though...I removed the brooder plate to start weaning them off heat and the little blue has surprised me with its taunting of one of the paints! It has been so laid back and very shy til today!
Guess ya never know with these cuties!!!

Yeah I completely agree with you.
Until the crow or an egg never have real confirmation of sex. I'm not going to do vent sexin and unless I am in luv and definitely gonna keep I'm not gonna pay for the DNA though it is good to know you had good results with IQ Bird Testing.
I'll definitely keep that on hand for next time I fall in luv!
I'm really unsure bout these 4 I have from you though...I removed the brooder plate to start weaning them off heat and the little blue has surprised me with its taunting of one of the paints! It has been so laid back and very shy til today!
Guess ya never know with these cuties!!!
My two now proven girls were play fighting yesterday!🤣

I like to sneak in here and share a photo every now and again. Don't have chickens anymore since my husband passed. I sure miss hatching and having them. My own health now says, don't do it. 😭 The first one is a fuzzy butt of a Showgirl..😁 Then me with one of my most favorite white girls years ago.
048.JPG
FB_IMG_1509556794695.jpg

Back
Top Bottom