Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
All 6 shipped eggs hatched!:wee:celebrate
I haven't yet got a pic of all 6 at once but here's a couple...they all look light coloured?- no partridge? Any ideas of what colours?
..one little light one has a chipmunk stripe though!
View attachment 3060785
View attachment 3060786
View attachment 3060804View attachment 3060805View attachment 3060806View attachment 3060807View attachment 3060809
Oh congratulations!!! That is amazing all hatched! 😍

They are so pretty already! It's so tough with the light colored chicks to tell what they might be sometimes. I could see white, splash, the little chipmunk one might be splash partridge, possibly light blue, maybe red pyle out of these cuties and who knows what else. 😂

I can't wait to see how they start feathering out! 🥰

Wow she has some really unique and beautiful birds! 😍

I love the one with the light body and dark head! I wonder what it is exactly.....she's got a moorhead anyway and maybe splash based either on partridge or wheaten perhaps? I have no idea really but it is fun trying to guess. 😂

these are project birds (red white face). any idea what he crossed to get these?
View attachment 3060955

Hmmm I'd say he is trying to make red on a wheaten base given the white faces. I've seen that white face in wheaten based birds though they don't always have it. I've got one kind of like that now that seems to be wheaten based or at least split to wheaten. Mine is a mille split so has more pattern involved but similar with the reddish color and white face anyway. Lots of red birds are on wheaten bases, I'm not sure exactly how to lock in the white face color though. 🤔

This is my little one who has that white face so far.
Wheaten based mille.jpg

Afternoon everyone! I have a silkie gender question. I am pretty good with knowing silkie genders and I majority of the time get it right. Well, I have a 6 month old silkie that this entire time I've been thinking is a cockerel. At 6 months I should probably be hearing him crow. I keep trying to compare him/her to my other for sure cock that I got in the same group. The one I'm confused about is Snow. Earlier Shadow did the mating dance with Snow and tried to mate with him/her. He does have hackle feathers in the back but I do have a hen that has prominent tail feathers. Snow does have a pretty red comb and wattle for it to be a girl. His voice is also lower than my other girls.I guess I'm confused bc the other cock does the mating dance on him/her, Snow hasn't crowed yet, and he did chase one of my older silkie hens that I'm trying to introduce but not to mate with her. Let me know what ya'll think! Included are pics of Snow and the black one is Shadow to compare.

I'm going with Snow is probably a little pullet as well. 🥰

The body type/build is very feminine. 😊

So what would a buff or red look like as a chick!?
I'm getting excited thinkin the very first one might be the color I'm wanting!!!
As it dries and fluffy up there is like a red/pink hue to its wings!

It can vary a lot and wheaten vs partridge based can look pretty different. I'd say this particular little doesn't quite look like the buff or red I've seen before and I'd lean towards maybe recessive white. It's so hard to tell with the light downed chicks though so who knows!

1 of my 8 "pullets" crowed today :weeI suspected he was a boy and my dream came true. I will get another roo as a back up and I hope my girls will start laying soon.

That is wonderful! I'm so glad you'll have some boys for your girls now!!! 😁
Hey this lil ones eyes are quite large...born last night bout 11pm.
I notice it has dark pink feet and even pink around the beak. ..ever seen this before in a Satin?
It's acting perfectly normal and like all the others in there. But thought it was odd.

Hmm is blue mottled a possibility out of these eggs? That beak the way it is marked really reminds me of mottled. The light skin would be normal in that case as well. 🥰

I'm not sure about the large eyes but hopefully it is just fine. :fl

Rough night...had to put one down.
Then there were 11
Rest sweet one - no more suffering.

I'm done hatching for while...yall help me say no please and prayin I enjoy the ones God has blessed me with!

I'm so sorry you had a rough night and had to put down a little one. :(:hugs

It's always so hard having to go through that. 😢 I'm so glad you got such a great hatch otherwise especially out of shipped eggs and have 11 little healthy cuties though. 🥰

This is my little one who has that white face so far.
This baby is GORGEOUS!!! It's a satin right?
Hmm is blue mottled a possibility out of these eggs? That beak the way it is marked really reminds me of mottled. The light skin would be normal in that case as well. 🥰

I'm not sure about the large eyes but hopefully it is just fine. :fl
I'm not sure buy mottled is DEFINITELY the direction i.want to go in and would be amazing if it is!!!
Wait til you see it after just 1 day! It is really toooooooo cute!!!
Man I hope several I like the colors of are GIRLS!!!

This baby is GORGEOUS!!! It's a satin right?

I'm not sure buy mottled is DEFINITELY the direction i.want to go in and would be amazing if it is!!!
Wait til you see it after just 1 day! It is really toooooooo cute!!!
Man I hope several I like the colors of are GIRLS!!!

Yeah that little one is a satin. 😊

I love mottled, blue mottled would be so pretty if that is what your little cutie is! 🥰

I hope you get some really pretty girls in some neat colors as well. :fl

Well Fred (polish roo) was trying to play whack a mole with Bambina's body (the silkie paint pullet). She is just so tiny, so he was able to swing her around by her crest, and wouldn't put her down. No damage, thankfully, but I found a new home for him. He will have 3 big polish girls to live with in a much larger area, so its a better fit. I think the enclosed run is just too limited with that many bodies running around. I still have Barney, the silkie paint roo, and he is super sweet with everyone. Of course Fred fell asleep while I was petting him before I put him in the box to leave. Had to make it a little more difficult for me on the way out! He is a sweet roo, just hormones are kicking in.

So now that chicken jail is empty, its now Elsa's turn! Hopefully a couple weeks in there will get her to quit bullying everyone. And hopefully, the others are happier not having to run screaming!

Back
Top Bottom