Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Little Betty laid her first egg today!!! Its so little!!..... and.... its not white. So I'm thinking Betty is in fact NOT A POLKIE (thats in a maury povich voice)...

So... now im wondering, so you guys think she might be a polish cochin mix? Her egg color actually looks a little darker than the cochin peachy color..

View attachment 3076258
View attachment 3076263
Congrats! 😍
Silkies can lay more tannish eggs like that. I had one, though I sold her. Her eggs were tiny and I could not tell the difference between hers and Hanabi's (Cochin).
Hanabi's are just slightly more round.

Congrats! 😍
Silkies can lay more tannish eggs like that. I had one, though I sold her. Her eggs were tiny and I could not tell the difference between hers and Hanabi's (Cochin).
Pippin lays the biggest, darkest eggs, whilst my other silkies lay off-white. One of my Brochins lay a similar colour to Pippin, and her twin lays a lighter cream colour. My d'uccle lays white

Soooo what are the chances with shipped eggs having no detached air cells? Wow candles them, from Indigoegg.us, not the first time I've ordered from her, my profile pic is from her eggs, but still, 1200 miles, no cracks at all either. And post office damaged the box.... since they are shipped do i still set pointy side down? crossing fingers and toes.
This is a great resource for incubating shipped eggs:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/17631705

Good luck! 😊

4C1E557A-0A1F-4C71-9258-2041345C9F24.jpeg

just went to pick up my new babys. they are called Winnie and poppy. They are the sweetest girls ever, charlie was suprisingly nice to them and only pecked them twice. I’ll have to See how blue reacts tomorrow. They are sooo fluffy. Winnie actually likes having her crest up which Is nice as my other Silkies don’t really and poppy is sweet. They both like it when I groom them and fall asleep on my lap.

View attachment 3076848
just went to pick up my new babys. they are called Winnie and poppy. They are the sweetest girls ever, charlie was suprisingly nice to them and only pecked them twice. I’ll have to See how blue reacts tomorrow. They are sooo fluffy. Winnie actually likes having her crest up which Is nice as my other Silkies don’t really and poppy is sweet. They both like it when I groom them and fall asleep on my lap.
Cute!

View attachment 3076848
Congratulations on your new babies! They look so sweet.😍

Congrats! 😍
This is interesting... so there's two possible scenarios... she is either a satin silkie, period. Because if she came w the paints, she came from a breeder that segregates her chickens and they are all pure bred. These were eggs hatched by the seller.

Or, if she's from her polish eggs, well there are no cochins, and her feather footed breed in the same area is the salmon faverolle. They also have 5 toes, cheeks, and muffs!

But her comb and face, and the darker egg kind of make me think its the second option...

I'll take an updated pic to see what you guys think.

View attachment 3076848
Awe! What do you use to groom them with?

This is interesting... so there's two possible scenarios... she is either a satin silkie, period. Because if she came w the paints, she came from a breeder that segregates her chickens and they are all pure bred. These were eggs hatched by the seller.

Or, if she's from her polish eggs, well there are no cochins, and her feather footed breed in the same area is the salmon faverolle. They also have 5 toes, cheeks, and muffs!

But her comb and face, and the darker egg kind of make me think its the second option...

I'll take an updated pic to see what you guys think.
How big is she? How much does she weigh?
If she has the more rounded Silkie body type, I would expect her to be a Polkie. Salmon Faverolles are also standard sized chickens, Weighing between 6 and 8 pounds, depending on gender.
Most standard Polish weigh around 5 to 6 pounds for the hens anyway. My standard Polish is on the smaller side and weighs only 3 and a half pounds.
So, Betty is full-grown now that she is laying, she might get a little bigger, but you can use this as additional information to determine her lineage.😊

Back
Top Bottom