Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Hey folks, got a quick question. What do you do with your spare roos?

All four of the Silkies I purchased in June appear to be male, and I really don't want any more roosters running around. Is it cost-effective to raise them to slaughter weight? Or am I better off trying to give them away free of charge? I live in a very rural area and most people aren't looking for roosters - even free ones.
I make a weak attempt to sell mine, according to time of year *where I live* its harder to sell in the late summer/fall. I usually give mine away after 2 weeks.
Some of my friends take theirs to a local livestock/poultry auction and swap. I dont do that because the ONE time I attended the thing, it appeared to me the animals that were brought there were not in just "good" condition, so I dont go that route.
Good luck getting your roos a home.

A couple of my girls like to play in the rain, you can see their cute faces for once

Attachments

• 20220911_135553.jpg
    20220911_135553.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220911_135547.jpg
    20220911_135547.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 1
I make a weak attempt to sell mine, according to time of year *where I live* its harder to sell in the late summer/fall. I usually give mine away after 2 weeks.
Some of my friends take theirs to a local livestock/poultry auction and swap. I dont do that because the ONE time I attended the thing, it appeared to me the animals that were brought there were not in just "good" condition, so I dont go that route.
Good luck getting your roos a home.
Put up a flyer at all reachable TSC supplies or farm centers ( usually free to do) I've gotten rid of every unneeded male within 60 days

Put up a flyer at all reachable TSC supplies or farm centers ( usually free to do) I've gotten rid of every unneeded male within 60 days
I have done that also.
We live in a very rural area that has heavy traffic connecting highway 280 to I-20, (its still only a state road), I have placed a sign on our entry gate and had success from that too.
I try to not do that often. You never know who may end up with your phone numer or just drive on up in the yard..

All four of the Silkies I purchased in June appear to be male, and I really don't want any more roosters running around. Is it cost-effective to raise them to slaughter weight? Or am I better off trying to give them away free of charge? I live in a very rural area and most people aren't looking for roosters - even free ones.
Capricorn Farms turned me on the the Face Book trick.. There are many 'groups' in S AL that are active. Just post pics and say 'up for discussion' Make sure you include the area you are in..

I have done that also.
We live in a very rural area that has heavy traffic connecting highway 280 to I-20, (its still only a state road), I have placed a sign on our entry gate and had success from that too.
I try to not do that often. You never know who may end up with your phone numer or just drive on up in the yard..
If I don't trust the person responding they get the sold out response. My address is never available untill I've verbally vetted the inquiree. So far 2 males to a petting farm and 2 others to private homes looking for a male presence. All are "no kill" locations. I have received happy updates with pics from a couple

Okay, here goes... Its 7 photos.
LoL
I asked because I know sometimes people get too sensitive about certain things...
No way I could ever, stand and watch, either of these guys hurt one another. I love them like I love my kids.
They are video captures.
My video is a whole 9 seconds.
Shaemus (little guy) is 100% the instigator and he dont run straight to Cash Money (big guy) and jump on him.
Shaemus waits until Cash is preoccupied and bum rushes him, catching Cash off guard, everytime.

This time, I was in Cash coop and was videoing some of his bigger chicks. I was sitting on a upright cinder block.
I could see Cash to my left.
The coop door was open all the way. Shaemus and his hens WERE all the way across my backyard. Were..
I then noticed Shaemus (to my right) standing in Cash coop doorway, looking in opposite direction of Cash.
Cash leaned back to belt out one of his amazing crows. All of a sudden, Shaemus ran into Cash so hard, he fell over on the ground...
On like a chicken bone...
It too me a few seconds to put together what just happened...
LoL..
I wasnt laughing while I caught it on video...
I laughed so hard when i played it back in slow motion..
Im almost 52, and some of us women dont like laughing way too hard... 😉. (yall know)...

Anyway...
Shaemus is a gangster.View attachment 3256387View attachment 3256388View attachment 3256389View attachment 3256390View attachment 3256391View attachment 3256392View attachment 3256393
I've had to break up a fight when my other rooster somehow got over his barrier one day and started fighting with my main rooster, blood was flying and it was crazy 😟 I grabbed a box and put it on top of them so it was completely dark and they stopped fighting thankfully.
It's ok for the boys to fight, they do every now and again but not if it's going too far and ruff with blood and injuries - then seperation is a must.

That is awesome.
I love Aussies. I am too old and not active enough for one.. I love to watch them work.

Zeus was very laid back for a dog. My puppy is a full mini aussie. He doesn't like the chickens out of the pens. We are working on him only herding them back in when asked to so they will eventually be able to free range. The silkies have a small courtyard that keeps wild waterfowl out so they still get their "free range". Bird flu is keeping the largefowl in their run. We're under a second quarantine because there was another case about a mile away recently.

I eat mine but they take so long to get to a good size. I raise most up to get a good idea who Im going to keep for breeding.

Back
Top Bottom