Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I've cleared out both silkie pens as the temps are already in the 20's here..Sickening to say the least... But they are safe and sound in tubs and cardboard boxes in the spare (storage) bedroom.. Top Dog, Sioux and her 4 young ones are in the baby bed crib on the front deck with a lightbulb and covered with quilt.. Should be much better for them than an open pen.
I've been praying and crossing my fingers for all it's worth.. All my silkie projects F1- F2's and pure breds are inside now. All that's left are Gen Lee and his hard winged room mates, plus all the 'normal' chickens... Lord help us, this is an unusual event.

It might be crowded or tight quarters for some, but warmth, food and water... Better cramped than froze to death. This is my 3rd BR/storage room as closets are not plentiful in this old house.
20221223_084027.jpg

Storm question...got a little bit of snow that blew into the coop last night. We've had a lil heater going all day but it hasn't even increased the temp 10° from what it is outside. We have just hit a whopping 5°F.
The hygrometer has shown less humidity all day than it is outside. And I went and scooped out the top layer where there was more snow. I just hated to toss all that hemp bedding that is layered 5" deep.
Yall think that should be ok?
By no means has any snow melted at all inside there...and only here and there fragments I was unable to get out.
@FBMcrazy8 what u doin bout your bedding in the coop that got snow on it?

Last edited:
Mother hen already back to laying, chick just 4 weeks now left on its own. She just has 1 chick because it was a left over one already developing under another hen.
Poor thing cheeeps alot untill it finds its mum. Area is big with access to outside under bush and trees. Mother doesn't cluck to find chick so it's left on its own often. It is warm here, between 11-26 degrees Celsius so it should be ok. Hopefully.
The other mother hen has 5 chicks only 1 week older so it will have friends.

IMG_20221224_132851.jpg

Mother hen already back to laying, chick just 4 weeks now left on its own. She just has 1 chick because it was a left over one already developing under another hen.
Poor thing cheeeps alot untill it finds its mum. Area is big with access to outside under bush and trees. Mother doesn't cluck to find chick so it's left on its own often. It is warm here, between 11-26 degrees Celsius so it should be ok. Hopefully.
The other mother hen has 5 chicks only 1 week older so it will have friends.

View attachment 3357401
Too precious!! Are the other chicks also silkies?

Storm question...got a little bit of snow that blew into the coop last night. We've had a lil heater going all day but it hasn't even increased the temp 10° from what it is outside. We have just hit a whopping 5°F.
The hygrometer has shown less humidity all day than it is outside. And I went and scooped out the top layer where there was more snow. I just hated to toss all that hemp bedding that is layered 5" deep.
Yall think that should be ok?
By no means has any snow melted at all inside there...and only here and there fragments I was unable to get out.
@FBMcrazy8 what u doin bout your bedding in the coop that got snow on it?
I have no snow experience myself. I don't think mine are as cold tolerant as they coukd/should be. I was hoping to put them back out on Christmas, but its going to freeze again that night. I'll keep watching the reports, day temps are going to be warmer then expected, so hopefully nights warm up too. By Monday it should be all fine here, thankfully.

Getting no sleep, paranoid about pipes. I have water trickling inside and outside, but still turn them on full blast every couple hours. I thought i might be overdoing it, but the neighbor across from me had a pipe burst today, so ill just stick with insomnia for now.

Surprisingly the chickens have been calm in their brooders, no complaining. They will be happy to get out though, in sure.

Back
Top Bottom