Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Well, I'm such a DUNCE! When I went out to feed last night there was an empty eggshell outside of Poof Poof's nesting bucket.. I thought, oh my.. who's breaking eggs.. then another this morning. Who's doing this?!? Then at afternoon feeding I found two more.. Not having stuck on the calendar when she went broody I thought it was another week or so, so I went to grab up the last eggs and put them in the incubator before they got destroyed too.. I reached in and what did I grab?? View attachment 3466499View attachment 3466500 A hand full of fluffy butts! I'm leaving her alone until she brings them out to show off herself!
Such cuties! 🥰

What do you all think of a rooster who chases hens and grabs them to mate against their will?
.. Popcorn is about a year old now and still doing that.
I have 16 hens between my 2 roosters and Biscuit my main rooster is always good to hens and people but doesn't fertilise (does mate but not fertile anymore for some reason) so that's why I have brought in the 2nd boy about 7 months ago who does the job of fertilizing, but stresses the hens chasing them down 😞
What do you all suggest I do? Keep Popcorn and hope he gets better treating the hens? Or try find a new rooster to join my flock?

What do you all think of a rooster who chases hens and grabs them to mate against their will?
.. Popcorn is about a year old now and still doing that.
I have 16 hens between my 2 roosters and Biscuit my main rooster is always good to hens and people but doesn't fertilise (does mate but not fertile anymore for some reason) so that's why I have brought in the 2nd boy about 7 months ago who does the job of fertilizing, but stresses the hens chasing them down 😞
What do you all suggest I do? Keep Popcorn and hope he gets better treating the hens? Or try find a new rooster to join my flock?
I had a young fella like that. I stuck him in with a couple of older hens that didn't put up with the nonsense (they weren't silkies either) and he soon began to start dancing, feeding them and being polite. Maybe it could work for you too.

I had a young fella like that. I stuck him in with a couple of older hens that didn't put up with the nonsense (they weren't silkies either) and he soon began to start dancing, feeding them and being polite. Maybe it could work for you too.
All my flock is in together, old and young. Queen Chickaletta is 12 years old and he still grabs her even though she has always been queen and respected by all the chickens, he has no respect for her 😞 she's too old for stress!
Biscuit does chase off Popcorn, so most hens stick close to him to be safe.

Please share your tractor Supply Silkie photos adult
Tractor supply gets chicks from different hatcheries, depending on location.. the last time i got some from them, they were from hoovers. Might be easier to search for hoover hatchery chicks for an idea of what they'll look like.

Unfortunately, that last batch was a bunch of male polish, so they were rehomed, with the exception of Esmeralda, my only female. But no silkies from them.

All my flock is in together, old and young. Queen Chickaletta is 12 years old and he still grabs her even though she has always been queen and respected by all the chickens, he has no respect for her 😞 she's too old for stress!
Biscuit does chase off Popcorn, so most hens stick close to him to be safe.

I always keep 2-3 egg layer hybrids or mixes. they do the teaching.

Yippeeeeeeeee! 6 eggs, 6 chicks! Sherbert the 15 week old hatched by Poof Poof has been in the bucket helping incubate and keep the babies warm, now helping mom tend the babies.
DSC_0204.JPG
These chicks are not related to mom, nor Sherbert (F2) who is also not related to mom. :lau
:wee

Back
Top Bottom