Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I’d love y’all’s opinions…my first broody and all.

I candled the eggs I put under my broody hen (day 7) and none are developing. I’m assuming my rooster isn’t getting his job done (he’s still young).

I just started a batch of shipped eggs in my incubator so I’m hoping I get some chicks out of that.

Should I remove the dud eggs and let broody hen sit on an empty nest? Give her some decoys and replace with chicks once they hatch? Try to break the broody?

I’m pretty disappointed since I was looking forward to their chicks (and I know my rooster has fertilized earlier in the spring…I wonder why he isn’t now)

I have a question; so in my recent silkie hatches I've been able to mark the eggs I put in the incubator by which hen laid them. My problem I'm noticing is that one of my blue silkies, Jewel, is not having any fertilized eggs. I don't think there's too much fluff back there because even when she was molting she was laying and there was no extra feathers to have prevented fertilization. I know the roosters are doing their job because all my other girls eggs are hatching. What could the problem be?

I have a question; so in my recent silkie hatches I've been able to mark the eggs I put in the incubator by which hen laid them. My problem I'm noticing is that one of my blue silkies, Jewel, is not having any fertilized eggs. I don't think there's too much fluff back there because even when she was molting she was laying and there was no extra feathers to have prevented fertilization. I know the roosters are doing their job because all my other girls eggs are hatching. What could the problem be?

trim feathers around her vent and see if that helps.

I’d love y’all’s opinions…my first broody and all.

I candled the eggs I put under my broody hen (day 7) and none are developing. I’m assuming my rooster isn’t getting his job done (he’s still young).

I just started a batch of shipped eggs in my incubator so I’m hoping I get some chicks out of that.

Should I remove the dud eggs and let broody hen sit on an empty nest? Give her some decoys and replace with chicks once they hatch? Try to break the broody?

I’m pretty disappointed since I was looking forward to their chicks (and I know my rooster has fertilized earlier in the spring…I wonder why he isn’t now)

I leave dummy eggs. I prefer hens to raise the chicks for me. My silkies are always eager to take chicks. Last hen actually got off the nest and started dancing when she heard the first chick I brought out. Ive had others rush at me to get them.

She may not be cooperative with the roosters, or they are just going for their favorite hens.

First chick spotted late yesterday vs this morning.. Blue Bonnet hatched 9 of 9 eggs. Her very first successful hatch. And all through thunder, lightning and rain and a tree limb falling next to the pen during the storm. Talk about dedication!
20230615_172444.jpg
20230616_075829.jpg

Silkies simply are the BEST!

Back
Top Bottom