Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Doesn't effect quality of life at all. It's just a missing feather on the wings. If you're showing it's a big deal. I've given away pullets before as pets because of the fault. Just like how wrong number of toes doesn't effect them but shouldn't be bred as it too is a disqualification from standard.

Vulture hocks is also a disqualification but doesn't effect them. That's hard feathers at the bend on the leg.

As with many traits, you need to select for or against. Want decent layers? Breed only the ones that lay decently or you will see production go down in future generations.
Gotcha - used to breed horses know all about breed standards!

I have found the downside to chicks hanging out with mom in the run all day…

Mom runs up the ramp for bed every night and only 1 or 2 chicks follow her. The rest stay in the run screaming for her and I have to go catch them and pop them into the coop lol. I really hope they figure out the ramp going UP soon 🤦🏼‍♀️

That's why mom(s) are usually in a low house here prior to chicks hatching. Most of the chicks manage to get in the first day and even the slowest has it by the third. I've watched the moms pace up and down the short ramp trying to get them in. She usually gives up when most of them are in. Always seem happy for my assist.

All broodies going forward have to be removed for the first several weeks because I've been raising the new houses off the ground. 8 inches up and 4 inch steps instead of a ramp since my silkies like steps better than ramps.

5 months after breaking her leg, Molly is finally broody again. She doesn't limp, but I don't think she's going back into a regular coop again. She has my elderly rooster Ashes and her side kick Gabriel in there for company.

I'm really happy with this lil F2. Blue and fawn colored, looks like most of the crest ended up under her beak. I've named her Gracie.
IMGP0042.JPG
IMGP0008.JPG

I have found the downside to chicks hanging out with mom in the run all day…

Mom runs up the ramp for bed every night and only 1 or 2 chicks follow her. The rest stay in the run screaming for her and I have to go catch them and pop them into the coop lol. I really hope they figure out the ramp going UP soon 🤦🏼‍♀️
Awww poor pookies 😁 I am sure they will figure it out by the time mama weans them 🤭

Meanwhile aren’t they cute though?

That's why mom(s) are usually in a low house here prior to chicks hatching. Most of the chicks manage to get in the first day and even the slowest has it by the third. I've watched the moms pace up and down the short ramp trying to get them in. She usually gives up when most of them are in. Always seem happy for my assist.

All broodies going forward have to be removed for the first several weeks because I've been raising the new houses off the ground. 8 inches up and 4 inch steps instead of a ramp since my silkies like steps better than ramps.

5 months after breaking her leg, Molly is finally broody again. She doesn't limp, but I don't think she's going back into a regular coop again. She has my elderly rooster Ashes and her side kick Gabriel in there for company.
I removed the roosts in my Hen House and put in a ledge that is 30” high; my silkies were hop/flapping up to the 5’ high level freaking me out!

One night when I was working out west I watch my wee black silkie hen Marty (on camera) launch herself into the abyss - she was roosting about 36” up on her platform, but I guess she had to lay an egg 🥚 in her ground floor nest box.

When I got back home I ripped out the whole interior and put a single level shelf up. I have 4 silkies and a few really elderly girls. So no big heights anymore. Also the single level ledge has reduced the bedtime drama and everyone is happier.

All my nest boxes are under the ledge, so my broody silkies who raised babies this summer had a ground floor apartment 😊

And, my night time voyeurism on the barn cam is less stressful 😁

17D1E8C0-07E1-411E-8B5F-CB4E0DC26E0C.png

Chickens - who knew they could be so stressful!

I removed the roosts in my Hen House and put in a ledge that is 30” high; my silkies were hop/flapping up to the 5’ high level freaking me out!

One night when I was working out west I watch my wee black silkie hen Marty (on camera) launch herself into the abyss - she was roosting about 36” up on her platform, but I guess she had to lay an egg 🥚 in her ground floor nest box.

When I got back home I ripped out the whole interior and put a single level shelf up. I have 4 silkies and a few really elderly girls. So no big heights anymore. Also the single level ledge has reduced the bedtime drama and everyone is happier.

All my nest boxes are under the ledge, so my broody silkies who raised babies this summer had a ground floor apartment 😊

And, my night time voyeurism on the barn cam is less stressful 😁

View attachment 3585791

Chickens - who knew they could be so stressful!

I have two 2x4s screwed across to wooden sawhorses for my large fowl. There is a piece of plywood across the center because even those girls like to pile snuggle in winter.

Back
Top Bottom