Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I have a mauve, two chocolates, a blue, a white/black splash, I think (I need to get a picture and ask to be sure), black, and a partridge. They are all just hitting 4-months-old, and I can't be sure of the sexes yet. I hope to get a pair between the mauve and chocolates, so I can pen those two together and see what we get! Not hatching anything until early next spring though. (Wisconsin).
Here's the one I wasn't sure if it's a splash. It's the whiter one. That partridge with the black head isn't one of the fancy ones but she hangs out with them.

splash 2 9-9-23.jpg splash 9-9-23.jpg

Would love to see pics! Could the white/ black be a paint by chance?
I finally got out there to grab a couple of photos. It's the whiter one. She was an all-white chick.

Attachments

• splash 2 9-9-23.jpg
    splash 2 9-9-23.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • splash 9-9-23.jpg
    splash 9-9-23.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
I do them 2 days before show so they are fully dry and fluffy. Silkies can take awhile. Best to not let the silkies on dirt if you're going to show as they will break all the foot feathers.

Use dish soap with a few drops of laundry blueing added. Be very careful of not too much or you'll turn them purple. Could also use whitening puppy shampoo which is easier as it won't purple them. Let them soak a few minutes and pay extra attention to feet. I use a toothbrush to make feet clean.

Carefully towel dry then blow dry. Chickens don't mind the blow drier. Use it on no higher than medium heat. Probably won't get fully dry. Put them in a clean cage to air dry some more and can blow a bit more later if needed.

Make sure beak and nails are filed to proper length and shape as well. I see people who forget that and it can cost you of it's close on which bird the judges will choose.

Oh and I always use soft toothbrushes on their feet. Can't hurt them and it's usually an old one we replaced so can be tossed after all the washing. Medium would probably be fine as well. I used a nail brush on hubby's feet and have to be a bit careful or can injure and he can't feel it very well. I figure chicken feet are as sensitive.

I do them 2 days before show so they are fully dry and fluffy. Silkies can take awhile. Best to not let the silkies on dirt if you're going to show as they will break all the foot feathers.

Use dish soap with a few drops of laundry blueing added. Be very careful of not too much or you'll turn them purple. Could also use whitening puppy shampoo which is easier as it won't purple them. Let them soak a few minutes and pay extra attention to feet. I use a toothbrush to make feet clean.

Carefully towel dry then blow dry. Chickens don't mind the blow drier. Use it on no higher than medium heat. Probably won't get fully dry. Put them in a clean cage to air dry some more and can blow a bit more later if needed.

Make sure beak and nails are filed to proper length and shape as well. I see people who forget that and it can cost you of it's close on which bird the judges will choose.
Oh and I always use soft toothbrushes on their feet. Can't hurt them and it's usually an old one we replaced so can be tossed after all the washing. Medium would probably be fine as well. I used a nail brush on hubby's feet and have to be a bit careful or can injure and he can't feel it very well. I figure chicken feet are as sensitive.
The two day won't work for me as I'll be very busy that day, should I do 3 days then?
It's only a very small local show so I'm not actually expecting there to be any other silkies, but of course there still might be.

The two day won't work for me as I'll be very busy that day, should I do 3 days then?
It's only a very small local show so I'm not actually expecting there to be any other silkies, but of course there still might be.

3 days should be fine as long as they are kept in a clean spot.

Our county fair used to have horrible examples of birds. It's only open for 18 and under so I don't blame the kids for showing hatchery birds. Someone a few years ago set up another 4H group and did what the other group should have. They contacted breeders and got good quality birds for their group. They also lobbied to get someone who actually knew poultry to judge.

As a result for wheaten ameraucana you saw actual true ameraucana starting that year that knocked all the regular wild type partridge hatchery easter eggers out of any running. Actual barred and white rocks and fluffy silkies with crests.

Really made the other group mad because their leaders were lazy, but the new one had a point that the kids should be taught real exhibition so the proper rules stayed. They also had showmanship added to poultry exhibition. Something that is for kids and teaches them. Any chicken works for that.

Back
Top Bottom