Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
The prefab coop kits sold at feed and big-box stores are NOT predator proof ... or even predator resistant. They are best used either indoors or in an enclosed run, like a dog kennel with electric around it or a top over it.
We have one of the kennel type things around it, we just need to fix the tarp on top because of the hurricane

Hi,
just wondering, I got 4 silkie chicks 3 white and one was dark grey. I am new to silkies and I thought it was funny as now she is completely white. It is of no concern to me but I was curious about why this happened.

Chick fluff doesn't tell you adult color if there has been cross color breeding in recent generations. You can get wildly different feathers than was expected based off fluff. I see that all the time on my easter eggers.

Sometimes mutations can happen as well. I had a normal looking partridge chick from partridge breeding feather in leaky black.

Chick fluff doesn't tell you adult color if there has been cross color breeding in recent generations. You can get wildly different feathers than was expected based off fluff. I see that all the time on my easter eggers.

Sometimes mutations can happen as well. I had a normal looking partridge chick from partridge breeding feather in leaky black.
Ok, thanks 😊

Hi,
just wondering, I got 4 silkie chicks 3 white and one was dark grey. I am new to silkies and I thought it was funny as now she is completely white. It is of no concern to me but I was curious about why this happened.
I had a silkie chick who was mainly gray and then feathered in white. This leads me to think she was recessive white. Here's a pic of what she looked like as a chick and as an adult.

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_135636.jpg
    IMG_20211216_135636.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220413_152807.jpg
    20220413_152807.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 3
Bator got switched off last week on Monday. Not sure for how long. Eggs were cold. Turned it back on and hoped. Today is day 21 and this hatched this morning.View attachment 3636280
Mine randomly turned off to. But after hearing horror stories I keep a towel over it now to keep it warm just in case. And it sure worked. They all seem ok. Will know by next Monday. 1 polish and 3 siklies made it after the postal service delivered my eggs 3 days late. They killed 10. I was so sad. I'm glad u got that wee one. God is gr8!!

The baby is freakin' aDORable, Duke's "plates" are really impressive, the third photo should be entered in the caption contest ... I'd call it "This End Up!" and the youngster in the fourth photo wants to know what in the world you're doing. What neat pictures!
Thank you! Baby has grown out enough that I can confirm my initial belief that the baby was a Silkie cross, is correct! He’s gotten big enough it’s rather clear I think haha. So I’m pretty sure Duchess is the mommy since baby’s skin is pinkish—her Satin genes mixed with a Brahma could create pink skin. 😍

5F748B18-1A3C-453E-8788-A7A92ACFC5F7.jpeg

7B6C4C42-352B-4051-8FE9-F153EDFA2B9F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom