Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
When I was considering Roos for Blue Bonnet, it totally escaped my mind that I have nephews of hers. They are out of a full sister (I'm Blue Too) by a totally different line. Bear, daddy of this roo, was a line bred boy from my Silver Partridge roo named General Lee. I bred him back to his daughter and got Lil Running Bear. So, here's the new flock, small as it might be. Blue Bonnet, Bear's Boy, and a cousin from Blue's brother (splash) and a line of bantam BO's x Silkie. The BBO x Silkie cross was a daughter of General Lee too.
DSC_0087.JPG
DSC_0088.JPG
DSC_0091.JPG

One Happy Family.
DSC_0096.JPG

Hi everyone! I just got two silkies so now I can finally join this thread! Here are some pics of my baby fluff balls! I was told one might be a buff silkie? What do y’all think?
View attachment 3763122View attachment 3763123
View attachment 3763124
Beautiful babies!!❤️ It could be buff, but it’s pretty dark. Possibly red! The buff silkies I’ve produced are usually a yellowish orange as chicks. Where did you pick them up? Hatchery chicks are usually the more basic colors where as breeders are where you get more specialty or “designer” colors.

Last edited:
Can I get everyone’s opinions on mixing silkie chicks with adults?

I’m going to set the most eggs I’ve ever set (probably around 20 which is a LOT for me) to hatch around the same time that I’ll be getting 8-10 day olds from a local breeder. IF I have a broody at the time I’ll use her/them, but I doubt I will due to time of year so I’ll have to break out the brooder.

I really don’t expect a good hatch rate from my eggs (my boys are still young and figuring things out lol) but I’m nervous that I will and they’ll grow out of my brooder faster than 8-12 weeks.

So, my question, what’s the youngest age you would add chicks in with adults if you were pressed for space? Any tips or tricks for introducing before the ~12 week mark?

I’m going to set the most eggs I’ve ever set (probably around 20 which is a LOT for me) to hatch around the same time that I’ll be getting 8-10 day olds from a local breeder. IF I have a broody at the time I’ll use her/them, but I doubt I will due to time of year so I’ll have to break out the brooder.

I really don’t expect a good hatch rate from my eggs (my boys are still young and figuring things out lol) but I’m nervous that I will and they’ll grow out of my brooder faster than 8-12 weeks.

So, my question, what’s the youngest age you would add chicks in with adults if you were pressed for space? Any tips or tricks for introducing before the ~12 week mark?
You can keep chicks together that are no more than 2 weeks apart usually.
As far as Introducing to an adult group, I’ve always integrated as soon as they were fully feathered and ready to be outside, typically the earliest is 6 weeks. It also depends on how cold it gets in your area. I’ve had very little issues but I also don’t really have any notorious bullies in my flock. If you have birds that will take advantage of a little guy that would be a problem. Hope this helps!

it also depends on room they have. I had an adult flock of 4 and put 3 pullets that were about 3 mo. they killed one.

I usually move them in between 8 and 14 weeks depending on how much space I have. It works with my flocks temperaments. There will always be a bit of pecking order established. I've had no actually hostile adults, though.

Not unless the boys are older. Then the roosters may get hostile. I found 16 weeks was too old for boys to be easily accepted normally.

To add them younger, I'd add a well tempered hen or two in with the chicks a few days to a week before moving the whole lot to the pen. I have a coop just for broodies and their chicks, though. And have to make sure the chicks are fully feathered and accustomed to temps.

I usually move them in between 8 and 14 weeks depending on how much space I have. It works with my flocks temperaments. There will always be a bit of pecking order established. I've had no actually hostile adults, though.

Not unless the boys are older. Then the roosters may get hostile. I found 16 weeks was too old for boys to be easily accepted normally.

To add them younger, I'd add a well tempered hen or two in with the chicks a few days to a week before moving the whole lot to the pen. I have a coop just for broodies and their chicks, though. And have to make sure the chicks are fully feathered and accustomed to temps.

at least 2 of my girls are really mean. my boys are good.

at least 2 of my girls are really mean. my boys are good.
Do you have a separate area to keep the mean girls while the younger babies grow out a little in the larger space? Once they’re closer in size they should absolutely be able to stand up for themselves as long as there’s adequate space for them all. A little fighting in a flock is normal and fine as long as nobody is getting seriously hurt. If it gets to that point and a permanent separation isn’t possible some soft culls are usually the best option.
I had to make the unfortunate decision to rehome my favorite silkie roo after he almost took out the eye of my younger cockerel. It’s a hard decision but sometimes it’s better than risking someone getting hurt.

Do you have a separate area to keep the mean girls while the younger babies grow out a little in the larger space? Once they’re closer in size they should absolutely be able to stand up for themselves as long as there’s adequate space for them all. A little fighting in a flock is normal and fine as long as nobody is getting seriously hurt. If it gets to that point and a permanent separation isn’t possible some soft culls are usually the best option.
I had to make the unfortunate decision to rehome my favorite silkie roo after he almost took out the eye of my younger cockerel. It’s a hard decision but sometimes it’s better than risking someone getting hurt.

this season I plan to keep them in a bigger run. they were in a rather small coop when that accident happened.

Back
Top Bottom