silver penciled ??? Ameraucana vs Egyptian Fayoumi

heritagehabitatfarms

Songster
10 Years
Oct 11, 2009
clinton ar
so last year i bought a pair of Egyptian Fayoumi did not have a pen for them yet so set them to run loose with the extra roosters... then when i separated them out i hatched out a Egyptian Fayoumi colored rooster with muff and beard and a messy/small strait comb... the only rooster that could be his dad is a black Ameraucana... but when i put it in the chicken calculator it says all of the offspring should be black splits and it would take tell F2's to get that color...

i am thinking about starting a project to get silver penciled Ameraucana's... because the barring gene inhibits leg color this might be as close as we can come to a barred Ameraucana... but i dont really understand the genetic difference between the current silver Ameraucana's and the silver penciled that im thinking of creating... the Egyptian Fayoumi silver penciling looks more barred to me??? idk y they are both called the same thing???

i put an extra black Ameraucana rooster in with a couple of my Egyptian Fayoumi hens just to see if i could recreate the accidental rooster from last year... but after looking at the chicken calculator im really confused as to how i got that little guy...

any thought would be appreciated...

thanks Elias

here is what i put in the calculator

black patterned silver transverse pencilled (this is shown as silver Campine) female
42757_chicken_cal.jpg

black unicolor male

shows that all offspring will be black unicolor...

when u use the black unicolor offspring as the pair and recalculate it shows that i would have to hatch 256 to get one black patterned silver transverse pencilled female and that i cant get a male that way...

if i revers the original cross to a black patterned silver transverse pencilled male and a black female i can get a black patterned silver transverse pencilled male in my F2's if i breed 256 of them...

so what am i doing wrong??? is the color of the silver Campine not the same as the Egyptian Fayoumi??? if so then the chicken calculator does not even have the Egyptian Fayoumi color pattern in it... if im doing it right then how did i get the male that i did???

and what would be the best way to breed this color into Ameraucana's???

thanks Elias

Fayoumis I think were originally the same as Campines, have no clue what commercialization/hatcheries did to their color though. They're not much the same anymore, so I can't help you much. I think if you were to try to introduce the color, it would take a long time. You're better off using Campines. Show Quality ones.

Something you gotta remember though is that the colors in the pull-out chart are just for quick use. They're not all the colors out there.

As for your project, the quickest way to do it is actually crossing the F1 birds together, and hatch out BIG batches, and LOTS of them. Otherwise the only way to save the transverse penciling (no barring in there, believe it or not) is to cross back to the (hopefully Campine) which would ruin the goal of the Ameraucana body, comb type, leg color, and egg color.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom