Silver Pencilled Plymouth Rock

I need to get cockerels weighed myself. I have I think 5 or 6 that I held over in my final cull; I will keep the best 2 or 3, depending how they get through my last scrutinization of them (is that a word? Must not be, it's red underlined!). I'm just not seeing the length of topline that I desire. A couple are good-sized males, hefty, and have good overall balance (I'm super keen on that, as well...), though that can be tough to know for sure until they're completely mature...I learned my lesson in that regard. I gave away a cockerel that I thought looked pretty unbalanced as a 6-month old (not a PR), and the woman sent me pictures of him the following spring...holy cannoli, that male matured out nicely and, in fact, was a nicer looking male than the one I saved over for breeding! I told her I really need to - literally - get my hands on that male so I could feel his bone structure. She was so kind, saying that she'd be more than happy to swap me for another one if I thought this male would help my breeding program. Some folks chastise me for giving away birds, but - this is a good example of why it works for me. :) Had I not GIFTED her that bird, I doubt she'd have been so kind as to have offered him back up to me.

The Columbian cross definitely helped, but not as much as I thought it would. The first generation cross was much larger; then, breeding back to SP to "clean out" the unwanted Columbian pattern, they went back down in size. I really do need to weigh them up and see what I have in the males. I will try to set up my photo box and get some pictures this next weekend. It's a time consuming prospect getting pics AND weights, but I'll try to take the time to do so. :)

SPPR's ~ I still have them, and am glad to see this thread.
I finally got a new cockerel late this summer and will breed him to 5 young hens next year- when they all mature.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    727.9 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    584.1 KB · Views: 34
Today and this week, temperatures will finally get back up to where I can stay outside for a few hours. I’m planning to make final breeding families for my SPRs and Marans (the latter are new to me, and I only have enough birds to make two good pairs).

I have raised two young roosters from a totally different genetic line (the source was not sure of their origin) so I want to mix things up a bit (experimentally) in one of my three SPR families. They are supposed to be larger than the ones I grew out this summer (from genetics, said the source) but they don’t look that much bigger to me...

The top priorities for me in mixing in these two new Roos (and in choosing hens) are to address the brown caste and the cushions on my SPR hens. Should I try to fix color first, or cushions?

I feel like spring must be right around the corner after this past long cold snap. Certainly chomping at the bit to start incubating. Of course we haven't gotten an egg in nearly two months... Letting nature take it's course has resulted in pullets not coming into lay pre solstice. Last spring was a horrid late start of laying and fertile eggs. It's time to break down and finally get a light in the coop. I'd like to set a batch beginning of March. Undecided which I'll set first, F1 cock over dam line pairing or F1 over F1 trio.

I Could easily indulge the same wishful thought (Wed. I bought flowers while grocery shopping and thinking of spring), but I know better! Our mountains won’t get warm until March. However, my plan is to start incubating on Valentine’s Day. Can’t wait!

Hi Merrymouse, I'm in PEI, Canada, and there aren't many sppr here. Where did you get your hen? I had to go out-of-province to find another bloodline for breeding. Am very happy to have a cockerel from Cape Breton for my breeding program this year.

I'm envious of your birds @PEI chicken. Leg color has been hit or miss in mine so far and something to work on. Your full yellow legs are gorgeous.

Do us a favor and upload some photos to admire as we all are awaiting breeding season...

Back
Top Bottom