Simple Green

cconroy

In the Brooder
May 1, 2024
I have a fenced off area for our dog to do his business. I use simple green regularly to spray to keep any odors at bay. It is regularly cleaned, but obviously urine soaks into the ground. I usually spray at night when it’s coolest out so it’s dry in the morning. Just curious if this is safe as my chickens do get into this area once in a while. Again, cleaned of dog poop regularly, but still sometimes has an odor.

Thanks!

The only "warnings" I see regarding using Simple Green around birds is to not let them inhale the fumes because their respiratory systems are so sensitive. That and don't allow pets to drink it. There was a class-action suit claiming that Simple Green isn't as non-toxic as advertised, but there weren't any specifics, and the suit was settled without the company admitting fault. All in all, I don't think your chickens are at risk due to the precautions you take.

What I do when it comes to dog urine where I don't want it is use a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide. That should sterilize and evaporate as opposed to the Simple Green which may leave a residue and affect your chickens who will be rooting up the ground.

Back
Top Bottom