"Since 1837, when we became a state..."

Sally PB

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
When I was in grade school, we sang a song about Michigan. Here are the lyrics that I can recall:

Since 1837, when we became a state,
A very exciting story to you we can relate.
About a proud land, and a proud people,
And so we say to the USA:

We're not as large as Texas, but we do have land with oil.
We're smaller than Alaska, but we do have glacier soil.

That's all I can remember. Ok, not great poetry. But dang if I can remember the title, or any more lines. I have tried looking up first lines of songs and poems and gotten nowhere. So, since this is my only social media, I turn to my chicken buddies. Does this ring any bells? Or can you who are so much better at internetting than I point me to somewhere to look?

Thank you, say I and the worm in my ear.

When I was in grade school, we sang a song about Michigan. Here are the lyrics that I can recall:

Since 1837, when we became a state,
A very exciting story to you we can relate.
About a proud land, and a proud people,
And so we say to the USA:

We're not as large as Texas, but we do have land with oil.
We're smaller than Alaska, but we do have glacier soil.

That's all I can remember. Ok, not great poetry. But dang if I can remember the title, or any more lines. I have tried looking up first lines of songs and poems and gotten nowhere. So, since this is my only social media, I turn to my chicken buddies. Does this ring any bells? Or can you who are so much better at internetting than I point me to somewhere to look?

Thank you, say I and the worm in my ear.
I sang this song in elementary school too, but cannot remember the title or all of the words. All I can remember is the following, and every once in a while I jump online to see if I can find anything. Your post is the closest I've ever come :)

"We make all kinds of automobiles

By ship we haul iron ore

60% of the land we farm in sugar beets, corn and hay

But say have you tasted the cherries

That grow at Traverse Bay"

Back
Top Bottom