Size coop for quail

Sarah1728

Chirping
May 11, 2019
Hello I plan on adding some quail to our backyard. We have chickens already and had a friend with quail. My question is if i plan on letting them free range (seooratly from chickens) how big of a coop to sleep and nest in is needed per bird? I plan on their run being where they spend their time and the coop for sleeping and laying.

Thanks

Or did you mean a run that will be fully enclosed? I would not really consider that free ranging, but that would be fine.

They won't use a coop, there's no point. Just build them a predator-proofed run/aviary (must be 1/2" hardware cloth).

Or did you mean a run that will be fully enclosed? I would not really consider that free ranging, but that would be fine.

They won't use a coop, there's no point. Just build them a predator-proofed run/aviary (must be 1/2" hardware cloth).

Yes an enclosed run but very large. I'm wondering if they are hobbit birds like chickens and will go to a coop at night and to lay eggs. Not sure how to house them for just sleeping and laying. They will have a outdoor run with lots of space maybe 25ft x 10ft

They look a lot like chickens but there behavior is pretty different. They are much less domesticated, and don't really have any desire to go inside of dark, scary snake-holes (from their perspective). They'd be much more likely to take advantage of overhands and little shrubs and trees placed around inside the run for shelter at night. They also won't lay in a single spot; you'll have to go egg-hunting.

Back
Top Bottom