skin problem or normal?

krazykatz13

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 27, 2012
I have 12 chicks that are about 3 weeks old. I noticed a few days ago that one was missing it's tail feathers. I thought the others may have just been picking on it so I watched to be sure. I have not seen anyone really being mean to it and today when I got them all out to change the shavings, I noticed this one also had red, scaly looking patches on other parts of its body where there were n feathers or the feathers appeared to be "chewed?" I have attached pics so maybe someone can tell me if this is normal or a skin issue that requires meds.

Looks like feather picking to me. Are you using a red heat lamp? That prevents feather picking, also make sure their brooder is big enough for all 12 of them.

I took the light down as they seemed to be too hot under it and they are in my sons old playpen. That is the biggest thing I have. I had them in a stock tank but they got too big for it. I'll put the light back now that they are in the pen with ventilation and maybe they will not get so hot. Do I need to put anything on it or will it heal on its own?

Do you have any cardboard to stick around the brooder? They're still young, and the temperature in their brooder should be 85 degrees F (There are special brooder thermometer's, get 2 thermometers and put them in the brooder to get an average temperature.). Drafts can chill them down. You can raise the heat lamp if it's too hot.

If the skin is ripped, clean it off, and put some Neosporin on it, then you can put something called "Blu-Kote" on top of the Neosporin.

Good luck~

I agree with Jersey Giantfolk- looks like feather picking.

They sell Rooster Booster Pick no more lotion that stains and tastes bad to them in the feed store and online that I use with chicks if needed.

You want to break them of this picking as it can become a nasty habit. Blu Kote some people swear by. I haven't tried it myself.

Also you can put a little box of sand in there to keep them busy. They will take dust baths and have a ball.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom