Sleeping on top of the Mama Heating Pad

Jester57

Songster
Nov 13, 2021
I've had success using the mama heating pad method in the past, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. However, the batch of chicks I raised before knew after one night they needed to go inside because nighttime temps were getting close to freezing. My present week-old batch wants to sleep on top of the pad all through the night, probably due to temps only dipping into the mid-60s. Last night it got down to about 64 and they were fine all night.

Of course, the cold is coming, and around here it can get cold quickly, so I'm wondering if I should keep putting them in the cave or just let them rough it until it starts getting really cold overnight. My concern is I've never seen them go into the cave voluntarily. It's been a hot week, so I can't really expect them to seek out warmth during the day.

They are able to handle "cooler" temps that we give them credit for. Each day they get hardier and grow more feathers. By the time it gets really cold they will be ready. One time I had 2 week old chicks out in the coop that were on their own. (Adopted mom was not acting as planned) It dipped down to 40. They huddled together, but they were fine.

Back
Top Bottom