small coop heating

WingedD20

In the Brooder
May 25, 2017
I have 4 hens in my backyard in a small coop. They have been doing fine up untill the tempature started dropping really low at night and 3 of the four got a bit of frostbite on there combs. I have been bringing them in for the past few night but am looking for advice on what i should do to keep them warm through the coldest part of the winter.

2x CapricornFarm's warning about teflon coated heat bulbs. In the past I've used regular light bulbs to warm chicks, however I switched over to the heating pad (Blooie's thread) which is safer and works GREAT! I don't have to deal with the "freezing" you all have so never have tried it with adults. :welcome

I'm around about Chicago in Indiana. I have a buff orpington who seems to be doing fine. a speckled sussex and two mystery hens from a rescue. One may be a golden comet. the last three have some frostbite on there combs. The coop is one of the kits with a coop and run for a small number of birds that comes in a box for a few hundred usd. I'll get a pic tomarrow.

I have a prefab and live in Indiana too. Probably east of you. I have 4 chickens and have not added supplemental heat. I did wrap the part of the run under the coop with plastic sheeting to give a wind break. I also attempted to close off any drafts in the coop. I do leave a vent window open. One of my Isa Browns got frostbite the first round of cold like from a month ago. I got scared and closed up the coop for warmth. Big mistake. So, ventilation and draft free is the best - my 4 girls are doing well. I make sure their pine bedding is clean and dry and the run is replenished with dry pine shavings as well. I make sure they have access to food and water (in the run not the coop).
Good luck and welcome to BYC. There is a running thread for us Hoosiers under the where are you forum, Indiana BYCers.

3 hens in a pre fab in southern WI here. It’s been -20 to 8 degrees for almost 2 weeks. They are doing okay - no frostbite yet! Here is a pic of the coop. No heat. Just a couple tarps to keep wind out. They don’t want to come out into their ‘free-range’ space right now, so I take the tarp down when it’s sunny so they can get some rays. Coop is behind garage and along the fence - this also blocks the wind. Lots of protein snacks, extra straw and pine shavings, heated water dish, and love!

I would say no need to bring them in just to return them to the cold. Just take care of any drafts and wind, but keep some areas open for ventilation. Good luck!
9EFD554C-E08A-41D6-8F76-A0F88D9E9B4B.jpeg 15944D35-4B7C-4236-B367-44805017AE6E.jpeg

Last edited:
3 hens in a pre fab in southern WI here. It’s been -20 to 8 degrees for almost 2 weeks. They are doing okay - no frostbite yet! Here is a pic of the coop. No heat. Just a couple tarps to keep wind out. They don’t want to come out into their ‘free-range’ space right now, so I take the tarp down when it’s sunny so they can get some rays. Coop is behind garage and along the fence - this also blocks the wind. Lots of protein snacks, extra straw and pine shavings, heated water dish, and love!

I would say no need to bring them in just to return them to the cold. Just take care of any drafts and wind, but keep some areas open for ventilation. Good luck!
View attachment 1228664 View attachment 1228665
Are you able to provide enough ventilation with the tarp over the coop? I think it's a great idea that I never thought of, but wondering about the ventilation. Also, do you move it at all to access the inside of the coop for cleaning and such?

Are you able to provide enough ventilation with the tarp over the coop? I think it's a great idea that I never thought of, but wondering about the ventilation. Also, do you move it at all to access the inside of the coop for cleaning and such?

The coop itself where they roost at night has a little window covered in hardware cloth and I do leave their sliding door open just enough for them to get in and out if they need to (the run is secure). The tarp hangs off roof and leaves a space between itself and the window, so it’s still open air but cuts the wind! I also like that the tarp saves the roof from snow moisture. The second tarp in the picture is just covering the side of their run that gets a little breeze. I take it down as long as there isn’t a cold winter breeze that day. Here is a picture. The back opens for cleaning or I can go in the front door if I crouch down.

Attachments

• A6F18573-B874-4EA7-9134-BF24756BA39A.jpeg
    A6F18573-B874-4EA7-9134-BF24756BA39A.jpeg
    544 KB · Views: 6
  • 88A0B38E-0CD9-4315-AB35-B4893C204113.jpeg
    88A0B38E-0CD9-4315-AB35-B4893C204113.jpeg
    663.6 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom