Small Egg

Col1948

Songster
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester UK
Anyone ever had this? At the moment I have 5 pullets, 3 of them are laying, so I get 3 eggs a day.
This particular day I got the 3 eggs plus this small one, at first I thought maybe one of the others has started and she hasn't got it right or something, but I haven't had any more since.

So I'm now thinking it might just be a one off where an early layer might have needed to lay again and obviously it wasn't proper egg, this one had no yolk as well by the way.
I put a medium egg and 1 pence coin to show the size.
Small Egg.JPG

Could be a new layer...or just a glitch.
Nothing to worry about unless it continues.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with new or older layers.

When you crack it open, see if it has a yolk. Take a picture of it for us....
Here's the only fairy egg I have gotten--it had a transparent 'yolk':
fairy egg.jpg

Faire egg, fart egg (my favorite name) they happen I believe when you have new layers, I've gotten several and a couple smaller than a nickle. I have most recently found one and all of my girls are over 1.5 and 2.5 years old. the one's that I've opened, either have no yolk or just a pin point one. I want to figure out how to clean out the stuff in them and then save the shell intact pretty much.

Anyone ever had this? At the moment I have 5 pullets, 3 of them are laying, so I get 3 eggs a day.
This particular day I got the 3 eggs plus this small one, at first I thought maybe one of the others has started and she hasn't got it right or something, but I haven't had any more since.

So I'm now thinking it might just be a one off where an early layer might have needed to lay again and obviously it wasn't proper egg, this one had no yolk as well by the way.
I put a medium egg and 1 pence coin to show the size.
View attachment 1625448

Here's a photo of my favorite fairy egg (bottom egg). It was the size of a nickle. I'm pretty sure mine was actually laid by a fairy, to be honest. Cutest lil thing ever!

Attachments

• IMG_5802.JPG
    IMG_5802.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 7
I agree with Aart's explanation, both that it is no big deal as long as it is not consistent and a yolkless egg is usually caused by a bit of tissue getting into her internal egg-making factory and an egg forms around it but with no yolk. It is quite possible one of yours laid a regular egg and that egg the same day.

It is also possible that one of your other two has their internal egg-making factory pretty close to ready but has not started releasing yolks to make a proper egg yet but a bit of tissue got into her system and she made that egg. You may not be that far away from having a fourth pullet join in.

Back
Top Bottom