Small nesting box for Broody Hen

Unswydd

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
Central Illinois
My nesting boxes are old milk crates. I have a Broody Hen sitting on 8 eggs and I'm afraid that it's going to be too small for the hatching process. I do have another coop smaller but would be better but I'm afraid to move her and the eggs. It all snuck up on me as life happens. It's day 21 now and I'm kinda in a anxious panic.
Should I move her or wait and see.
Edit to add:
I do have a wire gate I can set up to separate her off from the flock .

Just leave her be! She knows more about being a chicken than you or I will ever know. Just leave her completely alone, do not disturb her, or check on her or try and peak, do not try to help.

People with the best intentions, want to be part of this, and help it go smoothly thinking they can save every chick. But what often happens is they upset the mamma bird, and she can get so distracted that she abandons the chicks and nest.

You really do not even need to fence her off. She has been stomping around the other layers, and they will give her and her chicks room.

Now, some chicks might not make it, but if that is the case, they won't make it with your help either. A 50% hatch is considered average with sometimes being above that, and sometimes being below that.

ps- I reread your post and you said it is day 21, do you hear any peeping? Cause mine usually hatch about day 20.5. Might be the eggs are duds. If so, pick up some day old chicks and slip under her in the dark.

Mrs K

Just leave her be! She knows more about being a chicken than you or I will ever know. Just leave her completely alone, do not disturb her, or check on her or try and peak, do not try to help.

People with the best intentions, want to be part of this, and help it go smoothly thinking they can save every chick. But what often happens is they upset the mamma bird, and she can get so distracted that she abandons the chicks and nest.

You really do not even need to fence her off. She has been stomping around the other layers, and they will give her and her chicks room.

Now, some chicks might not make it, but if that is the case, they won't make it with your help either. A 50% hatch is considered average with sometimes being above that, and sometimes being below that.

ps- I reread your post and you said it is day 21, do you hear any peeping? Cause mine usually hatch about day 20.5. Might be the eggs are duds. If so, pick up some day old chicks and slip under her in the dark.

Mrs K
I was hoping you answered. I live 5 miles away from the farm and I'm walking out the door now to go check. I was mistaken it is day 20. So I'm going to check on her.
I'll update when I get out there and see. I'm quite anxious as this will be my first time doing this. I've never let my girls hatch until now. Fun days ahead!!! 😜

My nesting boxes are old milk crates. I have a Broody Hen sitting on 8 eggs and I'm afraid that it's going to be too small for the hatching process.
Milk crates can come in different sizes but yours should be at least 12" x 12". I've had full-sized fowl hens hatch in less space. That is not too small.

I agree, I'd wait and see. Bad things can happen if you try to move her. Bad things can happen if you leave her where she is. You don't get guarantees with either. I find the less I interfere the less harm I do, especially this late in the hatching process.

My eggs typically hatch one or even two full days early, whether in a calibrated incubator or under a broody. Some people's eggs regularly hatch a day or two late. The 21 day to me is just a target, not something etched in stone. It can be stressful when they are late but don't do anything silly if they happen to be late.

Milk crates can come in different sizes but yours should be at least 12" x 12". I've had full-sized fowl hens hatch in less space. That is not too small.

I agree, I'd wait and see. Bad things can happen if you try to move her. Bad things can happen if you leave her where she is. You don't get guarantees with either. I find the less I interfere the less harm I do, especially this late in the hatching process.

My eggs typically hatch one or even two full days early, whether in a calibrated incubator or under a broody. Some people's eggs regularly hatch a day or two late. The 21 day to me is just a target, not something etched in stone. It can be stressful when they are late but don't do anything silly if they happen to be late.
It's one of the smaller crates. I have 6 crates but they always choose the 3 smaller ones. So.....I'll see how it goes I guess.

That will be fine. Are you pretty sure on the date? By tomorrow, take her off the nest and check the eggs. If it sloshes - they are no good. At this stage - there should be piping, or even a faint cheeping. Sometimes you just don't have any that make it. Dispose of the eggs and put fakes in there. She will return to the nest.

If so, go get a couple of chicks from the feed store, bring them home give them a drink of water. In the early evening, when everything is roosted up, take them down and let them get a little chilled so they start peeping madly. If they are a little cold, under the hen is going to be a wonderful warm place. They will burrow into her tight. And that is what you need, that flips the switch, from being broody trance to broody hen, caring for chicks.

Wait it out for 5 minutes. Then wearing a thick sweat shirt and gloves, without any light, or bare minimum light just stick those chicks under her. She may growl and she might even peck at one trying to crawl out. That is ok. Try to disturb her the least amount. Step out side and wait. It should get silent. if so do the hard part and leave!

Mrs K

My nesting boxes are old milk crates. I have a Broody Hen sitting on 8 eggs and I'm afraid that it's going to be too small for the hatching process. I do have another coop smaller but would be better but I'm afraid to move her and the eggs. It all snuck up on me as life happens. It's day 21 now and I'm kinda in a anxious panic.
Edit to add:
I do have a wire gate I can set up to separate her off from the flock .
The size is fine.

I have two hens whose eggs always hatch on day 25!

That will be fine. Are you pretty sure on the date? By tomorrow, take her off the nest and check the eggs. If it sloshes - they are no good. At this stage - there should be piping, or even a faint cheeping. Sometimes you just don't have any that make it. Dispose of the eggs and put fakes in there. She will return to the nest.

If so, go get a couple of chicks from the feed store, bring them home give them a drink of water. In the early evening, when everything is roosted up, take them down and let them get a little chilled so they start peeping madly. If they are a little cold, under the hen is going to be a wonderful warm place. They will burrow into her tight. And that is what you need, that flips the switch, from being broody trance to broody hen, caring for chicks.

Wait it out for 5 minutes. Then wearing a thick sweat shirt and gloves, without any light, or bare minimum light just stick those chicks under her. She may growl and she might even peck at one trying to crawl out. That is ok. Try to disturb her the least amount. Step out side and wait. It should get silent. if so do the hard part and leave!

Mrs K
I may be wrong on the date. I was taking every egg before Easter so we could use them for our Easter Breakfast at church. After that I started letting her sit on them. Within a couple of days there were 8 eggs under her. Not all hers. So I could be a couple days off. I'll keep checking.
Went out after church this morning and listened and checked but nothing. I didn't want to disturb her too much so I didn't check all the eggs.
Thanks for your ongoing help!!

Unswydd ( unswayed) mine.
Also Welsh for " Of one mind"
Pronounced ( see wood)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom