Small nesting box for Broody Hen

A little rooster pedicure can help to reduce hens' feather damage and prevent cuts.

How many chicks hatched? Unless it was a staggered hatch they should be out and about with momma hen by now.
Ok, nothing as of yet. I'll give her a couple more days.
How do I cut his nails? Also she's the lowest rank. I've noticed my Windote pecks at her roo. Of course she pecks at most of my girls. They tolerate her.

Ok, nothing as of yet. I'll give her a couple more days.
How many days is she already brooding the eggs? When was the due date? They will usually hatch after 19-23 days depending on the egg size, freshness of the eggs and brooding consistency of the hen.

Did you candle the eggs at all to check on their respective development?
How do I cut his nails?
You can use a dog nail clipper or just file them down nicely, so all the sharp edges and pointy tips will be smoothed out.
Just grab him from the roost at night and bundle him up in a towel feet sticking out.
Sit on a kitchen stool and place him on your lap laying on his side. Then grab one leg, hold the toe you work on between your fingers and start to clip and file.
Be careful to not cut into the quick and have stiptic powder or cornstarch at hand in case it does happen.

How many days is she already brooding the eggs? When was the due date? They will usually hatch after 19-23 days depending on the egg size, freshness of the eggs and brooding consistency of the hen.

Did you candle the eggs at all to check on their respective development?

You can use a dog nail clipper or just file them down nicely, so all the sharp edges and pointy tips will be smoothed out.
Just grab him from the roost at night and bundle him up in a towel feet sticking out.
Sit on a kitchen stool and place him on your lap laying on his side. Then grab one leg, hold the toe you work on between your fingers and start to clip and file.
Be careful to not cut into the quick and have stiptic powder or cornstarch at hand in case it does happen.
It was right after Easter when I let her start sitting on the eggs. She had 4 at that time. It wasn't long, like a couple of days that she ended up with 8 eggs. So any day now I would think. I didn't candle any eggs, I was afraid of disturbing her too much. Probably should have tho. It's been 26 days since she had the 4 under her and about 22 days for the other 4. Yikes, I hope they're not all duds.
I will see about clipping Popeyes nails. I have a good dog nail clipper.
Thanks.

We have babies!!!!!! Hooray!!!! So far 4. I put out a bit of water and introduced them to it along with some food. I'll keep checking in on them. I'm thrilled!

Last edited:
Glad to hear the eggs hatched and you have chicks!

As for more roomy quarters, I've found that if you make a more roomy place available to the hen on a free-to-ccome-and-go basis, then after maybe 5 days, when the chicks start getting bigger, and more active and agile, she may decide to more them by herself.

Glad to hear the eggs hatched and you have chicks!

As for more roomy quarters, I've found that if you make a more roomy place available to the hen on a free-to-ccome-and-go basis, then after maybe 5 days, when the chicks start getting bigger, and more active and agile, she may decide to more them by herself.
I did set up her area so she and they can move around a bit. Pictures incoming!

Back
Top Bottom