Small towns are good for the soul!

Magilla

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 30, 2014
BC Interior
I recently moved to a very rural area, it is about a 40 min drive to the nearest village (pop. around 1000) and I wanted to share a positive experience, one of many since I have arrived, that have convinced me I am here to stay.

I drove in to town today to pick up some stuff from the building supply (brooder and coop materials
big_smile.png
). I get there to discover a dark building and an empty parking lot, save for one truck.

I checked to see if it was Sunday (don't be jealous that I live in a state of oblivion at times) and then got out to see if they were just late opening. The owner was leaving as I noticed the sign on the door announcing the closure for "Family Day"

He explained about the closure, then held the door open and said "Come on in!" I said I would come back another time but he would not take no for an answer. I went in and tried to gather my list as quickly as possible while the owner bent over backwards assisting me, radiating fellowship and positivity. The kind of guy it feels good just to be around, you know?

When I had everything on the counter, well over $100.00 worth, I pulled out my wallet only to hear, "Oh no, you can't pay, the till is locked up, just take care of it next time you are in. No rush."

As we left the store together, he handed me his card and said to call him if I ever needed anything and the store was closed. I thanked him again,mentally put him on my list of people I owe eggs to.and remarked at the how friendly and accommodating everyone has been since I have relocated.

He smiled, said "It's what we do here, welcome to the area!" waved and got in his truck.

I'm going to find a way to pay it forward today.

Yes, we had a similar welcome to northern VT Folks living further up the dirt road would wave as we planted f ruit tress on our future home site. ( -- really wish we could have found jobs so we could have moved there.) Folks at the local store didn't care that we had dirty hands ( no water on site to wash before headed to town) --" working hands" -- such a releif they understood.

I survive were I am, and wish for a country life.

Glad you found a slice of heaven to call home.

Yes, having lived in both rural and urban as...but never in one for long...was so thankful to finally be able to settle outside of a small town. The sense of community is strong here, and people seem much more focused on helping others out and simply just acknowledging other people. The simple act of waking up to our rooster crowing makes me feel immense joy.

That is another cool thing out here. Everybody waves!

I mean everybody, weather driving, walking or just standing on the road. Yesterday, I saw my first police car since I moved here 4 months ago, he smiled and waved as he passed. (not picking on the RCMP, but that has never happened to me before)

I can't wait to attend some of the spring and summer events here just to meet more of the people. :)

Haha, having the cops smile and wave threw me for a loop at first too. Love that the store owner helped you out, and love that you bought local. That's another thing I notice. Customers and store owners have a really strong bond around here. People rely on shops that are close by and the knowledge of the owners, and the owners no kidding rely on the locals to stay open.

Back
Top Bottom