Smallest duck getting bullied by larger ducks- please help!

Hallen

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2023
North Carolina
Hey there,
We have 5 ducks (2 pekin, 2 cayuga, and 1 swedish). The 2 pekin are a mating pair (so 1 male, 1 female). The 2 cayuga are the ones I am unsure of the sex of (the both sound like males and have curly tails, so I am assuming they are both males but they are always together in everything they do and do not seem interested in the remaining female duck which is the swedish), The 1 swedish is a female and, unfortunately, is the smallest one. She is tiny compared to the others and is being bullied every day pretty badly by all the other ducks....

So, my question is... do I need to get another male duck that would hopefully become a mate for the tiny swedish duck... OR is my problem that I do not have enough females??? Should I get one more male or a few female ducks to try to stop this bullying?

It is bad to the point where I am considering rehoming the poor girl that is getting bullied but I really do not want to do that.

Well, get her a friend! Male or female. Just a friend will do.
Sadly, her mate passed away close to two years ago and we actually got the other 4 ducks we have now to give her some company (We were told that they could not tell us the sex of the ducks we were getting because they were ducklings back then), hoping that they would be good friends for her :(

Do you think I should get her a friend that is the same type of duck as her??

Doesn’t have to be, but probably would be best.
Also, if you separate her, give her more attention. When you get her a friend, keep them both together but separate from the others for a few days so they bond with each other and can can both be integrated/reintergrated with the rest.

Doesn’t have to be, but probably would be best.
Also, if you separate her, give her more attention. When you get her a friend, keep them both together but separate from the others for a few days so they bond with each other and can can both be integrated/reintergrated with the rest.
That sounds like a wonderful plan, thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom