Smallest hole a chicken can get through?

Kaitie09

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2009
South Central, PA
I cut a 10x10in hole in the chicken run to allow them to free range in the goat's pen. They were having a blast too

However, a couple hours later I discover this:

That right there is 2, 100lb, boer/nubians, and one fat pygmy that all squeezed though a 10x10 hole. you can see in the background there is a cinder block holding up a wooden door for the opening. They did not move the cinder block, so they actually squeezed under an 8in tall opening too.

So my question is, how the heck to I fix the opening so that the chickens can come and go, but the goats can't get in.

I cut a 10x10in hole in the chicken run to allow them to free range in the goat's pen. They were having a blast too

However, a couple hours later I discover this:

That right there is 2, 100lb, boer/nubians, and one fat pygmy that all squeezed though a 10x10 hole. you can see in the background there is a cinder block holding up a wooden door for the opening. They did not move the cinder block, so they actually squeezed under an 8in tall opening too.

So my question is, how the heck to I fix the opening so that the chickens can come and go, but the goats can't get in.
No idea, but that's funny!
lau.gif

That's fantastic, you've got some resourceful goats
lol.png
I would suggest creating a more solid pop hole. Right now sounds like you just cut the hole into a wire fence (am I reading that right?), which can bend (though you mention the cinder block I can't see it in the pic--close ups might help). Try creating a wooden "portal" that the chickens can get through--I think you're right that they can fit through an 8 or 10in opening but not much smaller. Possibly, make the portal long and skinny (I'm thinking 4 boards, each 8in wide by 2ft long, screwed together into a long box shape) to deter the goats. And good luck!

Big chickens can't get through little holes. However, little chickens can get through big and little holes. LOL!!

Don't know nuthin bout goats though.

I had the exact same problem. Cut a hole about 8x8 in the fence for the chickens to get into the goat pen and next thing we know our two alpines were in there having a feast!!!

Trial and Error!

I would try 6x6 next!

Next post will probably be how do I get a goat free from being lodged in a fence?

I find it hard to believe a goat that size could get through that opening!!!

Last edited:
We didn't think it was possible. But we watched her first put her head in the hole moved a little to move the wire then flop her front legs in and pulled herself through. The chickens just watched!! Haha. We put a cinder block in front of it and its now 6x8. Don't think they will get through now. It's just a matter of if the biggest chicken can get through!!

I wonder if you made a box around the opening, like a tunnel. Have two sides open, one where the chicken would enter the goat fence, which would be attached to the fence. and then a side open so the two openings are on a right angle to each other. The box would have two sides and the roof closed, plus leave the corner closed. That way the chickens would walk through a L shape, but I dont think the goats could squirm in and then sideways.
I am not good at explaining but in my mind it seems like it would work because your goat could never get her head and legs up to pull through.

I'm having the same problem. I reduced the size of the chicken hole to 6"x8". My chickens got in and out fine, but so did my pygmy mini goats. I'm going to use a piece of wood to make it smaller. I had no idea the tenacity of a goat who was trying to get to chicken feed. It was incredible to watch. I'm going to make the hole 5" by 7". See if the hens can squeeze through. They'll have no problem this summer, but in the winter (when they plump up) then may have trouble.

Back
Top Bottom