Smell after processing

twochixchickens

Chirping
Mar 7, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I did my first CX processing today and I notice the utensils and the chicken have fleshy/gamey/bloodly smell. I'm not sure how to describe it, since this is my first butcher. I followed all the usual steps after doing a ton of research and everything went well. Is this normal? Will the smell go away? Will the chicken taste like it smells?

I did my first CX processing today and I notice the utensils and the chicken have fleshy/gamey/bloodly smell. I'm not sure how to describe it, since this is my first butcher. I followed all the usual steps after doing a ton of research and everything went well. Is this normal? Will the smell go away? Will the chicken taste like it smells?
For the utensils, if regular soap and water didn't work, might try an enzymatic cleaner. I'd start with oxiclean, or maybe try hydrogen peroxide. I assume you already tried clorox bleach and weren't happy with it. Might increase the amount of bleach.

For the sake of safety, I've got to say, don't mix the chemicals.

I can't answer about the chicken smell or taste.

Thank you both!
The utensils still smelled right after washing them with regular soap, but today they seem fine, but I'll remember the tip for using another type of cleanser if needed.
I definitely washed all clothes and myself right after! I haven't gotten back to smell the chicken since it is still resting...and I'm happy not to look at it for a couple days (processing was in 30 degree weather!)
I just wanted to make sure the smell was normal and hopefully that it won't taste like that smell.

Thank you both!
The utensils still smelled right after washing them with regular soap, but today they seem fine, but I'll remember the tip for using another type of cleanser if needed.
I definitely washed all clothes and myself right after! I haven't gotten back to smell the chicken since it is still resting...and I'm happy not to look at it for a couple days (processing was in 30 degree weather!)
I just wanted to make sure the smell was normal and hopefully that it won't taste like that smell.
Kudos to you for butchering in 30 degree weather! I don't even want to go outside then, much less do anything that would get me wet!

Yes it was awful, especially having to have hands in water for most of it. The best part was evisceration because their guts were so warm! I laughed to myself thinking about Leonardo DiCaprio in the Revenant, truly understanding when he cut open his horse and sleep inside of its body.

I started out with 40 and after losing quite a few, ended up with 30. I ordered them at the last minute because I decided I wanted meat in the freezer for the winter. According to my calculations, they were supposed to be ready by mid-November, but they weren't. The weather was still pretty warm at that time, so it would have been perfect. Alas, they didn't get to the right size until last weekend.

I was very pleased with how it went, despite the cold. I didn't think I would be able to do the actually cutting of the neck, but it wasn't that bad. They finally finished resting and I was able to cut them into parts and vacuum seal them...and they didn't have that nauseating smell I was asking about!! I have a nice little supply of meat. The only problem is, I eat only chicken and turkey, so I will go through it in no time :hit

Planning to up my numbers for 2023 and eventually get to self sustaining as far as meat goes. I have turkeys that I started this year, so they will definitely help with quantities.

Anyway, I could go on all day about chickens, turkeys and such! Happy holidays and New Year to all!

Yes it was awful, especially having to have hands in water for most of it. The best part was evisceration because their guts were so warm! I laughed to myself thinking about Leonardo DiCaprio in the Revenant, truly understanding when he cut open his horse and sleep inside of its body.

I started out with 40 and after losing quite a few, ended up with 30. I ordered them at the last minute because I decided I wanted meat in the freezer for the winter. According to my calculations, they were supposed to be ready by mid-November, but they weren't. The weather was still pretty warm at that time, so it would have been perfect. Alas, they didn't get to the right size until last weekend.

I was very pleased with how it went, despite the cold. I didn't think I would be able to do the actually cutting of the neck, but it wasn't that bad. They finally finished resting and I was able to cut them into parts and vacuum seal them...and they didn't have that nauseating smell I was asking about!! I have a nice little supply of meat. The only problem is, I eat only chicken and turkey, so I will go through it in no time :hit

Planning to up my numbers for 2023 and eventually get to self sustaining as far as meat goes. I have turkeys that I started this year, so they will definitely help with quantities.

Anyway, I could go on all day about chickens, turkeys and such! Happy holidays and New Year to all!
Good for you getting all that done!

I know the smell you mean but I never noticed it after 24 hours or so. Seems a short term thing.
It's far worse with larger animals. We did a couple of pigs recently and when my husband was gutting it he told me to stay away because he knew the smell would gross me out. 🤭

Do you hand pluck them or do you have a tumbler? Where do you put the guts and blood? I am not wanting to attract predators. I am wanting To raise some meat birds myself.

Back
Top Bottom