Snakes in the coop

ljninja

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2019
due To mice being in the coop— we now have a couple very large bull snakes in the coop. The chickens seem to be afraid of them in fact I’m pretty sure one had a heart attack while running after seeing a snake outside the coop. So what if anything should I do?

Are they this big?

IMG_20190406_124633296.jpg

Oh my god I would just die. I'm at work and just had to put my feet up in the chair. I'm not afraid of snakes generally, but after killing five in the last week that were all in the chicken house (or eating baby barn swallows) I guess I've reached my threshold for snake tolerance for a while. That snake is freaking huge!

20190703_211033.jpg
We have a snake that hangs out in the barn. He eats rodents and the occasional egg. Seems a fair trade.

DW is afraid of snakes so she will not put the chickens up at night by herself. We both go out tonight, using my phone as a flashlight since I left the spotlight we usually use in my truck.

There's the snake, enjoying a meal. DW holds my phone/flashlight and I make a grab for him...and miss. DW shrieks and runs, with the light, leaving me in the dark with a pissed off snake. Despite all my best yelling (oh, so much yelling) the snake got away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom