Snaplock chicken coops

They do have a facebook page. I guess if your the kind of person who has all the tools and enjoys designing and building your own coop, this one isn't for you. It looks like it's geared for people who just want to raise a few hens without all the construction.

I called Snap Lock today and was told the cost is $450 plus shipping. I'm in SC and they are in GA and shipping was going to be an extra $75-$85.

I can't build with lincoln logs, let alone wood, so I was very excited about this option. However, it's WAY beyond my budget.

I called Snap Lock today and was told the cost is $450 plus shipping. I'm in SC and they are in GA and shipping was going to be an extra $75-$85.

I can't build with lincoln logs, let alone wood, so I was very excited about this option. However, it's WAY beyond my budget.
Why not make one of pallets.They are free,and easy to fasten together. Plastic seems weak under the extremes of SC IMO
My coop that is 12'x20'x7' high cost me no more than 60.00 because of screws,fasteners,screen,hinges,and clasp locks and It has lasted for two years now with no ill affects.
fl.gif

I've been using mine for 3 weeks now ... I had a barn fire that destroyed much, including my old coops - SO not only am I not handy with building things but I have a ka-gillion things to do ... Yes, I could build one for less and be all hot and bothered and angry for a month -

OR - get this. Which so far the chickies LOVE and in addition, it is a breeze to clean out, so that saves me time week after week.

Some people enjoy building and making with hands - I do not and it shows! I wanted to post this to balance the comments of it not being worth it - listen, I can't even make a square frame with equal lengths of wood. The ER visit would make a DYI coop more expensive than this one. :)

For me - the money is worth it in time saved, mistakes made and also it is light and easy to move. It won't rot, it won't catch on fire - so the upfront is more and the long term is less the way I look at it. It comes with little locks so you can slip a carabaner sp? through each section to keep it in lock down. so only a lengthy and determined effort would break the coop - I think some racoons may have the smarts to figure out how to take the locks off and then lift .... ???? Right now I have mine in the middle of a run with netting over the top. Soon they will free range in the day and sleep in the coop - then I may have to get better types of locks - but it was designed so you can lock every part that opens .

I love it .... so it may not be for everyone for various reasons - but I think it is the bee's knees.

We bought the large snap-lock chicken coop last spring for our 11 chickens and LOVE it! It is so easy to keep clean, there is a pull out tray in the bottom that we dump and hose down each week. We are going to get a second one this spring. We live in Southern New Brunswick (near Maine) so our winters are cold, we do not use a light in our coop and our girls are fine. We highly recommend this coop.

Are you still happy with your snap locks? Is there a good way to stake them into the ground? I'd hate this good ol Nebraska wind to send my chickies to Kansas!

We still love ours...We like that it is lightweight, so moveable. We just recently made a 12 x 4 foot coop out of cedar that is incredibly heavy and non-movable. The snaplock is great as a year round coup because we move it into the barn in the winter, then back out into the forest for the spring/summer/fall. We considered buying another one this spring, however decided to build that large one so we could add 10 more chickens to our existing 11. (the large snaplock houses my 11 just fine).

We didn't stake ours (and we live right on the atlantic ocean-we get 100+ mile an hour winds very often, it has never moved...however we did use 2x4s to build a frame and legs & raise it off the ground. This makes a great rain shelter for the ladies, they go under it when the weather is bad.

It is heavy enough (well I have the bigger one) that really only your famous tornadoes should toss it around ... mine has sustained 60+ mph winds over the last year .... I have it perched up on an old outside table - so it is even subjected to lifting winds and I never had an issue.

I have 5 standard sized chickens and wonder if you guys would think that the smaller one would be big enough for them? Hubby thinks that is the one we should get...that and he is very set against me getting any more chickens too :(. I would have a excuse to get more if I had the larger coop lol. I just got my first chickens and they are still young and under a heat lamp but wow do they grow quick! I have one of each- Rhode Island Red, Production Red, Black Sex Link, Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Golden Comet. So would adding one more than the 4 max it says that this will house as far as standard sized chickens inside this small coop go really pushing it? Or would is be totally doable to throw one more in and have my five live happily and save inside there? We are not handy at all so this is a blessing to us for nto only not having to threatened each others lives when building one from raw materials but oh them the repairs too ...we are loving the play house style snap together and forget about it design ;) Also I think this is a great design for us since we live in the Midwest (Illinois) and oue winters can get pretty harsh. Hell it might save our marriage rather than building one ha ah j/p. Anyways anyone that has any tips or advice and comments on the smaller one for those 5 is very much appreciated! So the one I am referring to is classified as the Standard Coop and is 42” X 39” X 29” and has three nesting boxes and one roost inside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom