Sneaky hen

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
So, I come home, check on the chicks in the brooders and the two youngsters not quite ready to go outside (they're delicate and I don't WANT to put my D'Uccles outside yet, okay?), freshen the waterers and feeders, head outside to the back yard to refill the ducklings' dishpan with clean, fresh water, add feed to all the feeders, gather eggs, converse with a couple of roosters and the broody hens, then come inside to sit at the computer.

Dogs got their treats (baby carrots! Nummy! Healthy! They stand up and pirouette for them!), I rewind the DVR to watch the evening news, and settle in at the keyboard. Check for PMs, see if there are any posts in my favorite threads, take a sip of my fresh, cold, Diet Pepsi.

After a while, Molly the BA struts out of the guest bedroom, making little chickeny comments about her surroundings.

What?! Hey! What are YOU doing inside the house??

"Bok bok. Bok bok. Bok," says she. She stops next to me and tilts her head. "Bok?"

Both dogs, on the sofa, sit up and look interested, if a little contrite about not telling me there was a chicken in the house.

Molly takes a few more steps further into the living room. This is a return trip, not an entrance. She had to have gone the other way before I got into the house from the backyard "maintenance" chores.

"Molly!" She fluffs her feathers.

I get up and she comes to me, which makes it easy to pick her up and carry her to the back door - which is the door into my kitchen, as well. She does not struggle, but boks a little bit in protest. I put her outside and close the screen door again, this time latching it so it doesn't get pushed open by those pesky little dogs. I'm sure she bribed them.

Well... you do know that all those little chickens have a full blown conspiracy going on... I turn my back and my Wilamenia slips in the slider door and disappears into the house. Then another distracts us and she sneaks down the hall and we find her snuggled ON MY BED. Sneaky little girl.

D

Back
Top Bottom