Sneezing hens (only symptom) been going on for months! Any ideas?

Ok you all I just gave them their Denagard. The rooster shook and swerved his head when he drank it lol. I hope I didn't over sweeten it or not enough. They are sneezing like crazy but rooster is fine. So 3 days each month as a maintenance? Like a preventative?

Ok you all I just gave them their Denagard. The rooster shook and swerved his head when he drank it lol. I hope I didn't over sweeten it or not enough. They are sneezing like crazy but rooster is fine. So 3 days each month as a maintenance? Like a preventative?
3 days a month as maintenance for Mycoplasma. It *should* help them remain asymptomatic. It's not a cure, it won't stop them from being carriers and spread the illness, but it may prevent symptoms.

I'm not sure. I use pine shavings for bedding and clean it out a lot. We have crazy weather here in Indiana, lots of extreme up and downs.

Could be the pine shavings. Or maybe mold in the environment? I hope you find out what's causing her sneezing.

I haven't been able to find out what's causing my pullet to sneeze for so long. She has been sneezing for over 2 months and been in isolation because of her sneezing. She was hatched in early May, and didn't start sneezing until she was around 4 months old. Before she started sneezing she seemed to not have good appetite and was pretty slim, but I thought it was because she didn't have good vision due to her very large full crest (she is a Satin that is half Polish and half Silkie). So I trimmed the feathers around her eyes, tied the rest of her large mop with a rubber band and that helped for her to see better so she could eat more, but by then she was low on the pecking order and the other pullets would scare her away from the feeders, so I had to feed her separately. But before she started sneezing another pullet, I now call patient zero, started sneezing first. I thought it could be caused by allergy, either to pollen or the sand used as their litter on their run. When ever they dust bathed in the sand or I swifted it to remove the poops, it caused a lot of dust to spread in the air. I used Aspen shavings in their coop later switching to a coffee grounds litter (purchased on Tractor Supply website), which is a lot less dusty. Later this pullet also started sneezing. At first they would sneeze occasionally throughout the day. Since neither showed any other symptoms, I didn't separate them from the flock. None of the other chickens seemed affected. Eventually patient zero stopped sneezing but this pullet continued to sneeze. When it progressively worsened, I isolated her, housing her in a dog crate lined with paper to collect her poops.

She has had and still has no other symptom other than the sneezing, which recently has gotten less frequent and less intense, though it seemed to get worst again during the deep freeze we had in late December. She's now sneezing less, still has very good appetite and normal poops. In all the time she's been in isolation she hasn't laid an egg, she'snow 8 months old. I don't know what to do with her. I can't keep her indefinitely indoors in an empty unheated (she has a Cozy Heater) apartment (my mom was moved to a nursing home), and can't give her away since no one wants a sneezing chicken. I thought about culling her, but I just feel sick thinking about it. I've had to euthanize a couple of very young chickens (a pullet and a cockerel) and it was one of the most horrible things I ever experienced. I live in NYC, so no veterinarian willing to treat chickens, but if there was one, it would charge several hundred dollars just for exam, stool and blood tests, which I can't afford to spend to try to save a chicken. So I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom