So chickens can withstand -0 temps. But....

StarLover21

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
when would you put out a heat lamp or bring your chickens inside?
(e.g -20 )

Just wondering. No, I don't live in Alaska :)

I only have waterfowl but I wouldn't give adult birds a heat lamp unless it got to below 0. However, I live in Texas so that is very unlikely.

I don't give mine a heat lamp even at below 0 degrees. They are in a good, sturdy coop with good ventilation to prevent moisture issues, with 4" wide perches so they can cover their toes, and they do fine, no frostbite or other issues. I do think that it is important for birds in cold climates to have constant access to food and water, so that they can stay hydrated and have food to burn for keeping themselves warm.

I put my heat lamp out there when it gets below 10, or maybe if it's like 15 in the middle of the day and looks like it'll go down at night. I'm not sure how much warmer it makes it out there, actually. My chickens generally get a tiny amount of frostbite on the tips of their combs, but unless a chicken is sick, they don't seem to care about the cold at all, no matter how cold.

Oh, yeah, my rooster got terrible frost bite! I guess he didn't hide his comb under his wing like the ladies do. His once-pointy comb became smooth after years of frostbite. Tough old bird!

Well, I figure all those little songbirds don't have a heat lamp and they do just fine. My birds just fluff up and sometimes huddle together, but truthfully most of them keep space between each other when they roost.

I wouldn't give my birds a heat lamp. I do choose climate appropriate breeds. I would say if you live in cold climates and non cold hardy birds it is your responsibility to provide them proper living conditions including heat.

I don't have any heat source in my coop and we can get down to -20 at night. I just make sure the coop is clean and dry with good ventilation. I've never had a problem with frostbite or chickens freezing. I also make sure the breeds I keep are cold hardy breeds. They didn't have heat in the chicken coops 100 years ago so I figure why start now.

No heat here either.

I live in very cold wet, nay damp climate. My biggest issue is having a place that they can stay dry. I try to stay with breeds that can handle the perpetual rain here as well as the cold winters, and that is the best thing I can do for them.

If I added heat then I would have to deal with mold,
sickbyc.gif
so no heat here!

Back
Top Bottom