So I metioned that my roo would be leaving

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
to my neighbor( I live in the "city" with VERY close neighbors)
and his response was "Why? Did someone complain? I LOVE hearing him in the morning."

He then went on to explain that when he was a kid, growing up in a wealthy Boston suburb that EVERYONE had back yard chickens and roosters. And that he missed that and it reminded him of his folks etc. He then went on to tell me that if the people on the other side of us hadnt complained then NO ONE would. The people on the other side are known busy bodies and enjoy causing trouble.
roll.png
They havent said a word to me about Humphrey, but I think it is because they are deaf and honestly cant hear him.

So Humphrey the Partridge Rock roo gets to stay with my small back yard flock!
I am however drawing up plans to have the dh build him a "box" that will be part of the coop. Be at roost level, but not be tall enough for him to stand, stretch that wonderfully handsome head up and welcome the sun before 7am. That way he can still be with his girls and not be as stressed. I am sure there will be nights of me getting one of the girls out so I can put him up for the night. But after a while I think the smart chooks that they are will figure this all out.

I am just happy that my neighbors dont mind him. But I still want to make him as un obtrusive as I can. After all. Right now no one has their windows open. Warmer weather will come back. And next year I insulate the coop, add to their run and give my wonderful neighbors eggs.

That's wonderful! None of my neighbors mind... they know next year they will get eggs. They also heard about us trying to hatch ducks, and one neighbor asked to buy one if they could they want their own duck eggs!? Its crazy how some neighbors just don't mind... and I think they appreciate it more they you show concern on how they feel. Its great to hear about such a wonderful experience!

Last edited:
What a great outcome! We have been lucky as well, although chickens are allowed here. One neighbor got chickens after we did (they ended up getting out of them and giving them to use, but from the sounds of things, they'll get some again in the future
wink.png
) and my other neighbor gives me her scraps for them every couple of days.
smile.png

I know what you mean. My neighbors tell me the same thing. I feel really lucky to have my neighbors, especially when I read some of the posts on here about the other kind. Now if I can refrain from ringing my rooster's neck at times...

Back
Top Bottom