So I quit smoking today......(HELP!!!!)

Chew sunflower seeds. They will help with the habit.

For cravings I suggest nicotine patches (not the gum, that's just as addictive as the cigarettes and more expensive ).

Ask your wife not to smoke anywhere near you, and have her hide the cigarettes, otherwise it will be an easy temptation for you.

PS: I quit in 2005 and I have never missed the cigarettes since then. I was a heavy smoker. This is how I did it: sunflower seeds and nicotine patches for three weeks. It works only if your mind is made up and you are ready to do it.

Last edited:
When I am cutting weight, I tell myself "This hunger is good for you" and it immediately changes my attitude toward craving. Prayer helps as well. That's a weird one. Ask god to help you get through it, if you are of that persuasion
smile.png
"God, give me the strength to resist." kind of prayer.

Pick what works for you... expect other's solutions to be different from yours
smile.png

That is what I was thinking. I quit nearly 3 years ago, after smoking 35 years. I quit when I was ready, and prayed alot. And whenever I had a craving, I would thank God for helping me not smoke this long, and thanked him for continuing to help. Hubbo has quit today, and is having trouble, but still not smoking. I told him that the hardest for me was going the first 24 hours. Tomorrow would be hard, but not as hard as today. Congrats, and remember that every one you don't smoke, that is one YOU beat!

can you hear me now? :

Day is almost over still smoke free. One day down, many to go
smile.png

Congratulations
thumbsup.gif

Congrats! You won't regret it. I have been smoke free for almost 9 months. I used Chantix for the first 2.
Here's a few things I did to help me quit. First of all, I'll tell you my biggest hurdle was what to do with my hands. It's the hardest part of quitting. I smoked for over 10 years before quitting.

1) I chomped on hard candy.
2) I'm not a gum chewer but it helped to chew a piece a day.
3) I did a lot of puzzles like jigsaw and sudoku.
4) I took up woodworking and increased my sewing habit.
5) Did dishes immediately after eating instead of having that after dinner smoke.
6) Cleaned my entire house to get rid of the smell.
7) Walk around the yard and hang out with pets more (I didn't like smoking around them).

Those were just a few things that helped me. I am a naturally small person who thought that one benefit of quitting would be that I would gain weight but I actually only gained 4 pounds because I became more active after I started breathing better. Woodworking (I've built automatic feeders and ladders so far) gives you quite the workout and makes you feel good about yourself. My sewing actually gives me a workout as well because I'm constantly moving and working and using my arms. Find something you've always wanted to do but never thought you had the time or energy for and start doing it. Learning and doing something new will keep your mind and hands occupied and in the end, it will all be worth it
smile.png

Good luck!

Once you get past that first week, you'll be fine. You can do anything for a week, right?

I quit smoking March 3, 1998, when I was also 35 years old. I have had two cigarette cravings since that time... the first one was when my mother died in 2006, and the second time was when we lost our house and were facing homelessness last spring. I did not acquiesce to either craving, as I am sure that would have started me right back up again!

Quitting smoking is one of the hardest yet one of the most personally rewarding things you will ever do. A lot of people say that you gain weight afterward because you don't know what to do with your hand-to-mouth habit, but I disagree! I think you gain a lot of weight after quitting because EVERYTHING tastes better within about a month after you quit. You will notice (and learn to love and appreciate!) tastes and smells you never knew about before because it was all covered up with cigarette smoke. Once you're tobacco-free and you get around other people that smoke, you will realize, "Dang, is THAT what I used to smell like??", and that gawdawful smell will strengthen your resolve not to restart.

When I first quit, I was riding the Lightrail (local commuter train) to and from my job every day. I could always tell if a smoker sat next to me because I would smell like THEIR cigarettes for the first half of my day.... and about the time the smoke smell finally got off of me, it was time to get back on the train and ride home. My nose became really sensitive to the smell of cigarettes within a short period after quitting, and it has stayed that way ever since.

I could never ever quit. 3 years ago I did. I did need the hand to mouth thing. I found e-cigarette-forum.com and it was easy to quit with those electronic cigarettes. It's basically glycerine or similar, heated to a steam, flavored, with choice of nicotine level. Yes I do get a craving now and then, usually when I'm reading a detective novel that has a smoker in it, but the craving is gone in a few minutes. We call it "vaping" since it's a vapor instead of burning tobacco.

The thing that I liked most about quitting is that my life was no longer centered around cigarettes and smoking opportunities like a cigarette before someone picks you up in their car. Or a cigarette before work, etc. I am no longer a prisoner of when I can have a cigarette.

Back
Top Bottom