So sad. My first dog(black lab) and cancer.

littlefarm_bighappy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
This sucks.
I had family dogs as a kid, and seeing how my parents treated them (neglected vet visits, never neutering, chaining and ignoring, DROPPING THEM OFF AT THE VET TO BE PUT TO SLEEP and then telling me about it later)
Well, it taught me a lot about dogs and how to treat them.
So I got a rescue black lab 8.5 years ago- from in a small trailer, (he is 98 lbs) he was thrilled to come live here on 4 acres and never see a crate or a chain again. He is leash trained, housebroke, and the Best Dog in the World.
Taught me how funny and sweet black labs are and how they go to extreme lengths to please their owner.
How they melt you with their big brown eyes.
How they are always up for fetch.
How they * never* grow out of counter surfing, stealing the kids toys, and belly rubs.
Now, he's got advanced cancer. I was going to put him down today and faltered, thinking if I got him more pain meds, we could go another week.
Well, he's yelped horribly twice tonight, just lying down. He pants all the time. He's moving like he hurts.
I backed down this morning because he was trotting and acting like he was fine. Now tonight, he's back to hurting.
Crap. Making this call just sucks, and I feel like I will never be happy to do it, and I don;t know if it's right.
I feel horrible.

i know how you feel. he's a part of your life. but it IS the best thing for him, to put him out of his misery. he is very lucky you found him and gave him the best years of his life. doing this is never easy. you and he are in my prayers

So sorry to hear this, your old friend is counting on you cause he knows you always do the right thing. Let him go even though it's hard.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." ...a darn good quote.

It is such a hard thing to do to make that appointment and then go thru with it. I have had to do this a couple of times now for terminal pets and it is just so hard. I will always second guess myself even though I knew it was time for my dogs. After it was done I kept thinking maybe I should have tried to keep them going longer but I know deep down that would not have served their best interests, maybe just mine. You are right. You will never feel good about it, you will feel like crap. There's just no way around it when we are loosing such wonderful friends. But you will be giving him the gift of any easy passing rather then continued torment. And you have already given him the gift of such a wonderful life.

Strengh and best wishes to you.

I feel your pain. our ZEUS lost the ability to use his hind parts and he also was panting all the time. i took him to the vet, and yes we had to put him down. it was the hardest thing ive ever had to do. he was a grade family member. we had him cremated and we have his ashes. he was only seven. our prayer's are with you.

Last edited:
hugs.gif
I am going through the same thing with my cat, and my dog is right behind the cat. Its so hard to know exactly when the right time is. You will have to trust your heart. Our cat had a rough night recently and he was breathing real hard, i know how bad it feels to feel so helpless. He knows you love him.
Sorry you have to go through this
sad.png

So sorry to hear about the tough decision you're faced with. You've given your dear friend the gift of a great life over the past eight-and-a-half years. You now get to give him the precious final gift of a peaceful death.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know there are those that might say "It's only a dog". But to you, he's a beloved family member.

I have had to put down three beloved members of my family
March 2007 Sally 18 years old
March 2008 Lucky 14 years old (she weighed over 150#)
April 2009 Duke 12 years old. He had cancer and could not get up anymore....

They take a piece of your heart with them, but the memories you have of them fills them up! Your sweetheart will be in your heart and memories. It is the hardest thing you have to do with a companion! God bless you and you are in my prayers! Theresa
I do know your heart is breaking and I am so sorry!

I'm so sorry you have to go through this...
hugs.gif
I always tell myself I will put my dogs down when I look in their eyes and they are no longer there. Some of you will know what that look is and others I hope you never have to look for it or see it disappear.

Back
Top Bottom