Soft eggs?

DotToDot

Crowing
Apr 11, 2023
My lovely speckled Sussex is the wildest of all our birds, and she goes to the driveway every day to eat gravel and bugs. We also let our birds have eggshells in the compost, and there are oyster shells on the patio for them to pick at. I was sure she was getting enough calcium, but yesterday, I saw her eating something in the nest box. I thought it was herbs, since I had refreshed the yarrow and mint in the coop, but she was eating a cracked egg. There have been some egg eating issues in our flock, so I lifted her off the nest to clean it up.
The eggshell was soft. Not fabric soft, and not squishy, but I could move it around, and it wasn’t hard. I really thought she was getting enough grit and calcium, but am I wrong?

If it's a one and done thing, then there isn't anything to worry about. Sometimes soft-shelled eggs just happen. If she continues laying soft-shelled eggs, then there is probably a deficiency somewhere. You could try putting some apple cider vinegar in her water. That will help her all around.

I really thought she was getting enough grit and calcium, but am I wrong?
Rock(granite) grit is for digestion in the gizzard.
Calcium(egg shells and/or oyster shells) is for calcium.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

You could try putting some apple cider vinegar in her water. That will help her all around.
Not really. The vinegar can actually impede the uptake of calcium.

Usually soft eggshells means they.need more calcium in their diet. Try giving her some crushed oyster shells or eggshells that should help.

Rock(granite) grit is for digestion in the gizzard.
Calcium(egg shells and/or oyster shells) is for calcium.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Not really. The vinegar can actually impede the uptake of calcium.
We give them organic layer pellet inside the coop all day, but they free range all day too. They also have access to our compost which contains oyster and egg shells.

Usually soft eggshells means they.need more calcium in their diet. Try giving her some crushed oyster shells or eggshells that should help.
Yes, I’m aware. We do give them access to both as long as they free range, which is about 8 hours daily.

We give them organic layer pellet inside the coop all day, but they free range all day too. They also have access to our compost which contains oyster and egg shells.
It takes about 20 hours for an egg to form in the shell gland. If the egg leaves the gland too quickly, then the result is a soft shell. It's really not anything to be worried about unless she continues woth the soft shelled eggs. It sounds like they have a good diet!

It takes about 20 hours for an egg to form in the shell gland. If the egg leaves the gland too quickly, then the result is a soft shell. It's really not anything to be worried about unless she continues woth the soft shelled eggs. It sounds like they have a good diet!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom