Solar system for powering de-icer?

danlan

Songster
Jan 7, 2021
I have this de-icer, however, I recently moved and do not have electricity at the coop now. I was thinking to set up some kind of solar/battery system (where the battery operates the de-icer and the solar panel keeps the battery charged), but I can't figure out how to do it. Everything I find online assumes a lot more electrical knowledge than I have. (Kind of like some of the coop building articles here where the author shows a super-rough plan and then skips to a finished photo, leaving little clue as to how they built it in between those steps).

I know I need a solar panel, a battery, maybe an inverter? (I dont know if the de-icer is AC or DC), wires to connect it all together. But I have no idea what pieces to use or how to connect it all.

Is anyone aware of a kit that has the necessary pieces to solve this problem? Or has anyone done this before and can you share the parts list that you used?

Thanks!

So, according to your link, the de-icer pulls 125 watts and uses a standard household (110v ac) plug. 125w / 110v = approx 1.14 amps. Because its A/C, you will need an inverter (not a big one, 1.14 Amp is a relatively small amount, as A/C draws go - the equivalent of, well, a 125w light bulb. The Invertor ALSO uses power (no such thing as a free lunch), which you will need to compensate for. a 300w inverter will be plenty big enough. You should assume a 150w total draw for invertor plus heater. That 3,600 total watts per day in potential power need - almost 1.5 A/hr at 120v

Next you need to know where you are in the world and compute your peak sun hours during the period in which the deicer is likely to be used. That will give you an idea of how many watts of power you can potentially generate per day. Once you know that, you can calculate how many panels you will need. i.e if you have 6.3 hours peak solar, you are talking six panels to completely recharge each day.

then consider how much reserve you will need for when peak solar isn't available. That will determine your minimum battery bank size. Just enough to make it to the next day? second day? Batteries aren't cheap either - particularly as you can't fully discharge a battery and expect it to recover. Don't look at car battteries, they are built for brief, high draw, not constant drain - you want to look for electric golf cart or forklift batteries. If you thought your $600+ in solar panels was pricy, full stop. 100 amp hours of 12v batteries is going to run you $750 or more - and it only provides 1200 watts before its fully discharged, 1/3 of your projected daily need.

When you've done all the math, you will likely decide its not worth it.

I recently moved and do not have electricity at the coop now.
How far is it from your house to the coop? I ran a heavy duty exterior grade extension cord from my garage to my run. My run is covered, so the plug receptacles are not out in the elements. This will be its 4th winter, so it definitely was worth the investment. About $35(?), IIRC.

So, according to your link, the de-icer pulls 125 watts and uses a standard household (110v ac) plug. 125w / 110v = approx 1.14 amps. Because its A/C, you will need an inverter (not a big one, 1.14 Amp is a relatively small amount, as A/C draws go - the equivalent of, well, a 125w light bulb. The Invertor ALSO uses power (no such thing as a free lunch), which you will need to compensate for. a 300w inverter will be plenty big enough. You should assume a 150w total draw for invertor plus heater. That 3,600 total watts per day in potential power need - almost 1.5 A/hr at 120v

Next you need to know where you are in the world and compute your peak sun hours during the period in which the deicer is likely to be used. That will give you an idea of how many watts of power you can potentially generate per day. Once you know that, you can calculate how many panels you will need. i.e if you have 6.3 hours peak solar, you are talking six panels to completely recharge each day.

then consider how much reserve you will need for when peak solar isn't available. That will determine your minimum battery bank size. Just enough to make it to the next day? second day? Batteries aren't cheap either - particularly as you can't fully discharge a battery and expect it to recover. Don't look at car battteries, they are built for brief, high draw, not constant drain - you want to look for electric golf cart or forklift batteries. If you thought your $600+ in solar panels was pricy, full stop. 100 amp hours of 12v batteries is going to run you $750 or more - and it only provides 1200 watts before its fully discharged, 1/3 of your projected daily need.

When you've done all the math, you will likely decide its not worth it.
Wow, that is an amazing breakdown. Thank you so much for all that info! This is clearly a way more involved project than I was expecting. For the prices you are suggesting it would take to do this, I can probably bring electricity to the coop instead. THanks!

Back
Top Bottom