Someone talk me out of bantams

I love my d’Anvers!
However, bantams are susceptible to predation so they can’t be free ranged with the expectation that they will return. (In evidence, the free ranged
Thank you for the pictures! Yeah, that's been a serious concern about possibly getting bantams as our future plans were to put netting over the entire fenced-in yard and just let the chickens roam. I know we run the risk of predation with that set-up, so I had been considering larger breeds (but the d'Anvers little faces...!!!! I am legitimately considering if I can convince the Husband to let me keep house chickens).

my bantams were fine with quail! They have somewhat different feed requirements, but a higher protein all-flock feed should be fine for both to share.

I bet he needs some buff Orpingtons, they are like big fluffy golden retriever chickens. They do devour your feed costs, but its worth it since they are good layers too.

game chickens aren't more of the petting type, they are super super flighty. There is an exception, however: Aseel chickens are more friendly natured (tallest chicken breed group), but they are bred for fighting and can hurt your other birds.

Brahma chickens are also big and pettable.
Thanks for telling me about your experience! Yeah, I figure we'd be going with all-flock if we kept them together - the adult quail can reasonably be kept on 20%.

I figured he would have liked the Orpingtons or the Brahmas, but he doesn't want feathered feet and he really liked the look of Malay game chickens. I just...I don't know, I think he'd like it if I could figure out some sort of horrible velociraptor/chicken cross.

Some bantam breeds are flightier.
Bantam breeds as a rule are better fliers (and can be quite hard to catch) but many are super friendly and that makes them easy to catch.
That’s the case for d’Anvers and bantam Buckeyes anyway.
D’Anvers are one of the best breeds at flying.
Noooo they're friendly, I want friendly chickens orz

A few pictures are worth a thousand words. Get bantams.
Screenshot_20240521_145349_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240521_145247_Gallery.jpg

Nooooooo

Are the roosters any quieter than standard-sized roos? I'm not going to lie, between other peoples' stories about their roos and finally getting a wonderful little quail roo, I'm really kind of interested in keeping a few. The downside is the crowing - chicken roos are so much louder than any quail roo.
Mine are not quiet. But it's because I have so many that they keep each other going. I believe I have around 13 or 14 bantam roosters and cockerels plus my standard rooster.

@Silkiebegins I really want to get silkies next. how do you deal with the feather-growth that grows over their heads and covers their eyes?

Also, do they get muddy and dirty in wet climates? how do they do in the rain?
Well, I mean feather growth on their head isn't a problem at all. Just a snip once a month around their eyes to help them see (optional). In the rain they do fine they'll find a place to take cover. They're feathered feet do get dyed brown a bit but really does nothing. Here is a picture from their feet getting dyed from the mud. I'm selling fertile eggs and chicks from these two so if you want some of them you can pm me.

Attachments

• 20240405_162449.jpg
    20240405_162449.jpg
    782.5 KB · Views: 1
Well, I mean feather growth on their head isn't a problem at all. Just a snip once a month around their eyes to help them see (optional). In the rain they do fine they'll find a place to take cover. They're feathered feet do get dyed brown a bit but really does nothing. Here is a picture from their feet getting dyed from the mud. I'm selling fertile eggs and chicks from these two so if you want some of them you can pm me.
I know people have them in cold areas and they do fine. I live in a hotter area and they also do fine. Overall super cute and easy.

Im in Virginia? How much per baby and are they sexed?

Back
Top Bottom