Someone talk me out of bantams

@Silkiebegins I really want to get silkies next. how do you deal with the feather-growth that grows over their heads and covers their eyes?

Also, do they get muddy and dirty in wet climates? how do they do in the rain?
Mine did great with the wet. Just try to give them a dry spot to go and sleep in !ND get out of the rain. I don't bother with the trimming for their face, but I keep mine in a run so they don't have to see everything all the time

@Silkiebegins I really want to get silkies next. how do you deal with the feather-growth that grows over their heads and covers their eyes?

Also, do they get muddy and dirty in wet climates? how do they do in the rain?
They love the rain. They clean up nice somehow too.

IMG_0523.JPG

For their eyes, we use an electric razor every few months. They like it. This is before shaving.

Marsha 1.jpg

Hello! I am having a rather long day at work and have found myself seriously considering getting some D'anvers bantams. I am moving in a few months. I need to get the new place's backyard ready for chickens. The Husband wants giant tall dinosaur game chickens, which is going to be a really weird mix with bantams. And yet...they're so little and cute, and they're only about twice the size of our quail, and I desperately want birds that I can let run around the yard without worrying they'll disappear forever. I keep catching myself thinking "Well...we could afford a small coop/run, they're so little that they probably don't need much space..." Which I'm pretty sure isn't true anyway. AND I have quail already that I'm caring for!

Those who have bantams: Talk me out of this. I don't need tiny chickens - but I *want* tiny chickens.

Or tell me about how your little fluffballs are perfect and I'll probably end up with five. Either/or.
I LOVE my bantams. I get lots of eggs from them. Ive got about 5 different breeds of all diffrent colors that bring me to about 30 bantams in total. They eat less than large fowl and theyre good for limited space. If u want free range bantams, OEGB would be the best choice.

Bantams are the best. I'm seriously thinking of going all bantam.

RIR bantam for friendship and pets hands down.

View attachment 3847969
View attachment 3847971
View attachment 3847973
The two silver hens are LF Phoenix hens and the other is a silver laced cochin hen.

I couldn't find any pictures of Sherry my rir bantam hen. Her best man is a LF Spitzhauben rooster.
Buckeye bantams were created using RIR and Cornish bantams and I must say they have some of the best personalities! So I guess I can see how RIR bantams are nice.

Back
Top Bottom