Sorry for being stupid

spock78

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
I have 15 Fast Cornish chicks coming tomorrow.
Do I start them on Broiler feed or Chick starter?
These will be day old chicks:|
hmm.png

:)This is NOT a stupid question...I know. I asked the same one myself a few weeks back. The old boy at the feed store told me to give my birds either broiler ration or turkey ration. Whatever the case they need to have at least 22% or greater protein. My birds grew off in 6 weeks and dressed out (the males) at 5 pounds without necks or giblets. Those were some big birds. They took a long time to roast and could have been butchered at 5 weeks and done just fine. The hens I let go a few days longer and they still weighed in around 4.5 pounds. Chick starter is too low in protein and they won't get the amount of protein they could really use to get growing fast. I used a bit of electrolytes in their water for three days every 2 weeks and that helped out with their legs---didn't have any problems there. I did have one (out of 10) that had some toes try to curl a bit.

Have fun!!

Bump Bump!!

Well, it's 50/50 on the answers.
Anybody else have some input?

Quote:
I don't do meat birds, so I don't know the answer.
However, I remember a funny thing someone put on here a while ago: "Ask 5 chicken enthusiasts for advice, and you'll get 6 different opinions."
tongue.png

I just looked on several of the hatchery websites and kept seeing:

*****Commercial chick starter containing about 20% protein is recommended for starting bantams and layer type baby chicks.

*****Chicks being raised for meat should be started on a high protein – high energy rations that will produce rapid growth.

So....sounds like the old boy at the feed store may have been on to something. Any how my birds sure liked the Purina Show Chow broiler I got them. It was 22.5% protein and they ate it from the day they arrived. They would eat as much as they could and then fall over asleep, as if they were dead--had me worried at first--then jump up after a bit and go back to eating. They were real food converters.

Let us know how it goes. I hope they all arrive in good shape today!!

--Bird

Thanks Birdbrain!! I have to laugh at your name. LOL!!

I've had ppl tell me to feed them chick starter for their first 6 weeks & then switch over to broiler rations. According to Privett Hatchery, these chicks should be ready for butcher at 6 weeks. HUH???

I will start my own ongoing thread for my new hobby as soon as I can find my camara. Moving STINKS!! Been here for 2 months & still can't find either of my cams. GRRRRR!!!

Yah, that whole "starter for 6 weeks and switch to broiler" had me scratching my head too. I had plans to be sitting down to chicken dinner at six weeks, not standing in line at the feed store getting more feed for the birds I had planned to be eating at that time.

Glad my name gave you a laugh. My DH thinks I have birds on the brain all the time...I thought it fit.

--Bird

Back
Top Bottom