Sour crop & she isn’t eating!!

phiababy87

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2019
My 3 year chicken “ Houdini” old developed sour crop, which I noticed almost a week now.

7/1/21- I lifted the food the night before & in the morning her crop was still full & she was lethargic. Took her out of the coop & went to administering garlic water every few hours. massages the pouch every time I see her. I did this for two days little to no improvement still withheld food.

07/03- did some more research now, Houdini has been on anti fungal cream twice a day cream in her mouth. 1/2 inch 2x a day.

I have to administer Greek yogurt orally or she just won’t eat. She hasn’t ate since 7/1

she has access to water, grit, fresh scrabbled eggs twice a day, & Greek yogurt.

Her poop is watery white w/ some green stuff. No worms.

Her pouch still hasn’t fully emptied & this morning she barfed on me. Brown smelly water with little bit of brown matter. Awful smell

she’s a lot more alert & feisty as all hell when I’m feeding her..

Suggestions?!? How can I make her eat. I’m so worried about her

Can you get some photos of her poop?

I would continue the anti-fungal cream for a full 7 days. Don't massage the crop.
Make sure she's drinking well.
You can offer wet feed, see if that interests her.
You may want to consider de-worming. Sometimes there's an underlying condition that is contributing the the crop symptoms. You don't mention if she's still laying eggs, if she's not, then reproductive problems could be part of the problem as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Can you get some photos of her poop?

I would continue the anti-fungal cream for a full 7 days. Don't massage the crop.
Make sure she's drinking well.
You can offer wet feed, see if that interests her.
You may want to consider de-worming. Sometimes there's an underlying condition that is contributing the the crop symptoms. You don't mention if she's still laying eggs, if she's not, then reproductive problems could be part of the problem as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for the feedback. I’m definitely going to be giving her the cream for 7days wet food like cat/dog food? What would be a good dewormer? She isn’t laying eggs at this time.

Remove feed immediately so she’s not peking at it and putting more feed into her crop. What’s happened is there is a yeast infection in her crop and giver her feed is just fueling the infection. An easy way to “starve the infection without starving your chick” is to give her yogurt. If she won’t eat it, stir tiny bits of feed into it. Yogurt will kill the yeast infection. Another thing you can do is put garlic in her water. Garlic is just great all around for chickens and some in her water is just a great way to keep her healthy during this difficult time. I’ll pin a video to this going step by step how to cure sour crop

Remove feed immediately so she’s not peking at it and putting more feed into her crop. What’s happened is there is a yeast infection in her crop and giver her feed is just fueling the infection. An easy way to “starve the infection without starving your chick” is to give her yogurt. If she won’t eat it, stir tiny bits of feed into it. Yogurt will kill the yeast infection. Another thing you can do is put garlic in her water. Garlic is just great all around for chickens and some in her water is just a great way to keep her healthy during this difficult time. I’ll pin a video to this going step by step how to cure sour crop
Hmmm....you have a thread today asking for HELP/How to treat Sour crop? 🤔🤔
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/does-anybody-know-how-to-cure-sour-crop.1485517/

Back
Top Bottom