Source for standard silkies (non-bantam) in the U.S.?

I was under the impression that silkies came in the one size, which is considered bantam. Never seen or heard of full size LF silkies. They are a descent size bantam compared to OEGH.
WISHING YOU BEST.......:thumbsup

Silkies come in standard and bantam sizes in the UK.
The U.S. generally only breeds the bantam.
I am looking for a source for standard-size silkies on the U.S. side of the pond.

If they are readily available in the UK. Is it possible to purchase fertile eggs from there and have them shipped. Pay the Extra FedEx freight and they would get to you quickly. I do not know if there are restrictions or such. :idunno
I know that shipped eggs are a gamble and hatch rate is sometimes weak. If you did get enough quantity packed well you may luck out.
Then start your own breading program. :jumpy

In the US, silkies are only bantams.
Hatchery quality silkies tend to be larger in size as they are not bred for quality.

The silkie gene is a mutation so there are a few LF breeds you can find with silkie feathering. But they are not silkies in breed, only feather type

My chicks are in week 4 now... One of my sil.kies is just as big as my light brahma... a little lighter.. but that light brahmas gonna be a big chick'on compared to what i expected from silkies. lol. i stare at that big silkie every morning and i say....... oh gosh lol.

Back
Top Bottom