South Carolina

Hello from Charleston! We are building a coop and looking to get eggs or chicks in a month or so. I want to get birds local and not from a big box hatchery. Does anyone know where to do this?? We are willing to travel a little bit. We also want to have some variety in our flock,so we want a few of several birds. Any ideas on good breeds for the area. We have a little one, so we are looking for friendly easy going breeds.

I don't know about other breeds but I am constantly hatching some nice Rhode Island Reds here in the upstate. If your interested I might be able to get my niece to run them down and you you can get them from her. ( She lives down there ) My brother runs down that way a good bit too..

might be interested, but just got some local info and I am waiting to hear. I'll let you know. Would you have a min. number you'd part with? I also have an Aunt up there,so would be worth a trip for me.

Hey everyone. Long time not talking. Actually too long. I have just been so busy with everything I didn't have time. Well I'm back. Took a while to catch up on everything. So sad news. I lost all of my chickens to predators. Don't know what kind but it was not a pretty site. So I have fortified everything with extra heavy welded wire and stuff and about to start over. I wish it didn't take so long for them to grow. I miss my fresh eggs. It killed me to have to buy eggs. Also have to wait for the places to sell chicks. It is killing me. But I will live vicariously thru everyone here until I can get my flock up.

Glad to be back.

Silkie Camp IN ... tonight with friend Blonde EE
silkie got wet from rain...brought in to blow dry and stay in for the night.

best friend blonde EE

well EE doesnt wanna sleep on the floor with silkie so this is where it is for now..... LOL

Fluffly Butt!!!!
Spoiled Chickens!
Friday Night Camp In... for tomorrow it's all outside with nice weather!!!!

Last edited:
So sorry for your losses Billyj. *hugs* Could you tell how the predator was getting in? Best wishes for a healthy, happy, and secure new flock!

What a great sleepover Moonchild!

Hey everyone. Long time not talking. Actually too long. I have just been so busy with everything I didn't have time. Well I'm back. Took a while to catch up on everything. So sad news. I lost all of my chickens to predators. Don't know what kind but it was not a pretty site. So I have fortified everything with extra heavy welded wire and stuff and about to start over. I wish it didn't take so long for them to grow. I miss my fresh eggs. It killed me to have to buy eggs. Also have to wait for the places to sell chicks. It is killing me. But I will live vicariously thru everyone here until I can get my flock up.

Glad to be back.
What a tragedy! So sorry for your loss. I am understanding more and more the importance of fortifying the coop and run.

I did. I thought it wasn't a problem. Had heave gauge wire there, but aparently the holes were a little too big. So now that has been fixed and now just waiting for the day to get some more.

So it was something small getting in? Again, so sorry for your devastating loss!
hugs.gif

If you get your chicks from a local store, where do you go? I'm having a really hard time finding Silver Leghorns and would rather not order 25. I've seen that a few people did buy them from stores, though not around here. TIA!

I guess I will wait until my local feed stores get some in, or at Tractor supply when they come in. I'm not looking for anything in particular. I know I want some EE's but other than that, just some good egg layers. RIR, BO, BR stuff like that

Back
Top Bottom