South Carolina

Sorry I have not been around much lately. Life has been kind of hectic for me lately.
BUT I have a deal of the day for people that are intereated !!!
Buff Orpingtons 5 months to 1 year old. $12 each Hens and Roos available ( These are not my birds They belong to a disabled friend that has way too many )
I keep plenty of RIR's at various ages.
The Fastest way to contact me is either by phone or through my Facebook pages.
864-429-9019 after 4:30pm
https://www.facebook.com/RobertLeighsRhodeIslandReds

Soooooo I got to visit Kris and Robert's beautiful farm yesterday!! I will be waving from the interstate whenever I drive by now!!! Anyway it was so fun to see their turkeys. They were so amazing when we left my 7 yo wanted one--a girl! I think he wanted one to carry around like they have!!! Anyway I set eggs today(thank you Kris and Robert for those too!). I actually set some of my own eggs from my chickens. I am running my experiment between my LG and an old metal Brower bator. It will be fun and interesting to see if anything hatches out! lol!!!

OK so I have a lone, gorgeous, black silkie. I tried to leave it with my other silkies but they attacked it. Then I tried to put it in with my other bantams thinking it was bigger than them and they would be docile enough but the gold neck d'uccle rooster attacked it right as I put it in the coop and would not let up. I had to fight him off to rescue the silkie. Sooooo I am thinking this must mean my silkie is a boy??? I don't know what to do with it so for now it is alone. I am thinking that I maybe need to find it a friend at the show. My oldest says I need to pick out something smaller since this one seems to be so timid!

I can't wait to go to the show this weekend too!! Such fun!! I hope to get to see you all there!!!

Soooooo I got to visit Kris and Robert's beautiful farm yesterday!! I will be waving from the interstate whenever I drive by now!!! Anyway it was so fun to see their turkeys. They were so amazing when we left my 7 yo wanted one--a girl! I think he wanted one to carry around like they have!!! Anyway I set eggs today(thank you Kris and Robert for those too!). I actually set some of my own eggs from my chickens. I am running my experiment between my LG and an old metal Brower bator. It will be fun and interesting to see if anything hatches out! lol!!!

OK so I have a lone, gorgeous, black silkie. I tried to leave it with my other silkies but they attacked it. Then I tried to put it in with my other bantams thinking it was bigger than them and they would be docile enough but the gold neck d'uccle rooster attacked it right as I put it in the coop and would not let up. I had to fight him off to rescue the silkie. Sooooo I am thinking this must mean my silkie is a boy??? I don't know what to do with it so for now it is alone. I am thinking that I maybe need to find it a friend at the show. My oldest says I need to pick out something smaller since this one seems to be so timid!

I can't wait to go to the show this weekend too!! Such fun!! I hope to get to see you all there!!!
Sounds like it could be a boy by the D'Uccle action...You have fun at the show! That is a good one!

I finally got a few eggs to incubate...got a few chicks from them...few more eggs...another batch "cooking"...lol...now here comes the screwy weather again!!! I hate cold...I hate rain...I sure hate it when Mr Cold teams up with Mr Rain!!! LOL I don't know what is worse...winter cold or spring rain??? All I know is I love these chickens!!! LOL and I love all my "chicken loving" friends! Everyone stay warm and dry as best you can!!!

The turkeys are great (no mater what Kris says) Glad you came, sorry I missed you though, but glad you got to meet the little turkeys.

On the Silkie... I read somewhere on here that sometimes they are very quiet and easily picked on if they can't see well. have you tried trimming his bangs?

RobertH

A trip to Kris and Robert's is always a treat for me, even if I come home with nothing! I do not believe that has ever happened though. They are great folks! I love them!

I know this is kind of crazy but if you put a group of several different silkies in a pen, they will separate by color unless they were raised together from hatch. You might want to get a black or dark blue to put with this one. Also if you add several to a group they seem to get along better. One added to a group almost always get picked on.

Mary is right, it is not good to add only one to a group. I try to put in 3, at least. I have 2 pullets that need to go into breeding but I am going to take out some the pen first.

Well the funny thing is that I had two black silkies and put them in at night--because I have heard that it is best to put them in at night while they are in a daze and roosting but the next morning they had almost killed one of the black ones and while that one was still in the pen they left the other black alone. BUT then my sick black one died and so they turned on this black one. So now I have a lone silkie. It does have an impressive top knot and may not be able to see so I might need to trim that up! OHHH and today is my birthday(I love my birthdays!!!) and my dh got a blue andalusian to go with my other large fowl. She is about the same size--maybe a little smaller but there is only one of her. I am not sure how to introduce her. I was going to do it at night. Or I was going to try the introduce with a wire cage inside the bigger coop during the day but I think it might be too cold at nights to leave this one by itself outside in a wire cage--even with a tarp over the cage. Is there just no way I can introduce one chicken???

Back
Top Bottom