Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Bad hair day!

Love it!

I look like that every day.....

How does that go....When god gives you a broody, stick some eggs under her....or is that lemons....
Tell Lilly I love her garden, and yours too

Snow , rain,, what's in store for us this summer

Hi Queenchick!
My mom tells me the almanac says humid and rainy. Ick. We're planning to move our coop to a sunnier spot a little further from the house anyway, so I guess that's a good thing. I'm a little worried about the coop move... Hoping that we can pull it off and won't give up with it halfway across the yard!

Hi all. Suffolk County here. Anyone have any silkies? Know where I can buy them in person out east? I havent started yet. A real newbie here. Also I have a big regular metal shed that was left in my yard when I bought my house. I wonder if anyone's made a big metal shed into a coop? Should it be smaller?

Bio... Good luck with the move. One day I'll tell you about moving my coop from my friends house down the block to my house. It required crossing the tracks near disaster .

Welcome Ronkonkoma , the only worry I would have and it is major is that in very hot days the chickens might die from the heat. Good luck. We are here for you

Hi all. Suffolk County here. Anyone have any silkies? Know where I can buy them in person out east? I havent started yet. A real newbie here. Also I have a big regular metal shed that was left in my yard when I bought my house. I wonder if anyone's made a big metal shed into a coop? Should it be smaller?
If I did a metal shed coop, I would make large vent windows that could be left open all summer by cutting large, window sized, panels off the side, cover the opening with hardware cloth from the inside (not sure how to secure the cloth to a metal shed wall though), and hinge the cut out panel at the top on the outside. I would then rig some kind of chain pull that would hold the panel open when I wanted it open and a latch of some kind to secure it shut when needed. Alternatively, I think they make louvered vents for sheds that might serve the same purpose (just be sure no critters can get in). I might also put some type of flashing or molding around the metal panel to make it look more finished and to keep out wind and precipitation in inclement or cold weather when you want it shut. Otherwise, I think it will work ok. Can anything dig underneath? If it doesn't have a floor, I would consider putting a "skirt" on the ground around the coop to deter digging.

Oh, and welcome to the madness!

Last edited:
Harvested my asparagus yesterday and made a nice stir fry. I forget how much I love that stuff until I pick it each spring and I always forget to put in more. I need to double the size of that patch!!!

Hi all!

Looking to find someone who is selling any barred rock, or sex link chicks for a friend looking to start a small flock of chickens. Her and her husband want to raise some babies to enjoy on their small farm with their children.
willing to drive a reasonable distance from Warwick, NY

Thanks!

Hi there.. be aware of large chicken coops.. one falls victim to the inevitable trap of chicken math... the exponential rise in the amount of chickens that inhabit said coop. In other words.. The bigger the coop, the more chickens you will want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Metal coops can be fine, as long as they are secure from predators, have proper ventilation, and are secure from winter storms. They can be noisy.. but chickens get used to it.

Good Luck!

MB

Back
Top Bottom