Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
OK, I have been searching through the old posts and can't find the info.

I want to stick my perch as high as possible, but the chickens will have to fly up to the perch.....

So....how much space do I need above the perch?

I would guess that I need 18" of space from the top of the perch to the roof, but I want to KNOW if anyone has tried it?

The way I want to set it up, I will NOT be able to adjust the height of the perch.

So....anyone know? From experience?

Thanks

I have golden Comets and I have only 16" above my one roost and less than that under the second probably only 14". My nest boxes are 12x12" and my pop door is 9x12 ".

Works for me!

This Delaware rooster lives in this coop as well with no problems on the roost or through the pop door.

Last edited:
In an enclosed place they most likely will not fly up 4 ft to get on the roost. If you want to go that high you will probably have to make at least on more about half way up so they can go from the lower to the highest.

Why do you want it so high?

In an enclosed place they most likely will not fly up 4 ft to get on the roost.  If you want to go that high you will probably have to make at least on more about half way up so they can go from the lower to the highest.

Why do you want it so high?

I want it high, and a poop shelf under it, to create more floor space. The higher up the perch and poop tray, the more usable space for me.

I used to have a perch about five feet high that was used by quite a few of my birds.

However, to put in a poop tray, and to make more perch space, I will need to reconfigure. With the reconfiguration, I would like the perch up as high as possible so that
1. As I just stated, I would have easier to use for me, extra space

2. Also, the higher up the warmer the birds will be ( I have NO problems, EVER, with too much heat)

Rereading my above post.....

That five foot high perch was on the short side of my shed (8x16) so they had an over ten foot runway to fly up.

I am planning to move the perch, with the new poop tray, over to the long side of the shed, which means they will have only a six foot runway, unless they fly up at a diagonal. (The poop tray will be about two feet wide)

I wonder how difficult that will make it for them.

They fly up 2 feet there is 3 levels in my 4x8 foot print coop it is approximately 6 feet high. Their wing is clipped they can not fly any higher then approximately 4ft. One feature I like in my cramped coop that has housed 15 birds with no problems through winter months is the 3 1/2 inch drop to the poop board. It has saved the day many times with eggs laid through the night.

Last edited:
Ooh!

That is sort of what I am thinking about, making levels to maximize living space.

I can't tell from the pictures, how did you set up the three levels?

I was hoping to make my multi-levels more like bunk beds along one side....so they wouldn't be able to hop from one level up to the next.

How much head space do you have above your perches?

Back
Top Bottom