Spitzhaubens

Pics
being in the land of cold and dark, I prefer warmer colors. Gold and warm creams help to brighten the place up.
big_smile.png

Hello!

I have a question about this breed. I've generally read that they cannot tolerate confinement at all, but when I was reading the reviews on the breed on this website, some people said they actually can. I'm not permitted to free range my birds where I live
hmm.png
but I have a run that is (roughly, as it is not completely squared and instead angles in, as we had to avoid tree roots) 10x18. It is covered but over six feet tall. I've seen photos of them in what appear to be pens/runs before. Would it be possible for me to keep this breed at some point in the future, or would they be terribly unhappy? I want my chickens to be happy and enjoy their lives, so if it is not possible I will still be glad to have that knowledge.

Thank you so much for your time!

I have a few Spitzhauben and they extremely happy to be free. In the mornings before I let them out of their coop they sometimes get very chatty loud. Then I let them out to the chicken yard and they are happy for a bit. Their preference for the day though is to hop the fence and free range all day. They also like to sleep in trees or on tops of coops or the runs. They are now 10months old and just recently in the last week or 2 decided to put them selves to bed in the coop I'm guessing due to the cold and snow(I was climbing up places to pluck them down nightly and putting them in the coop.

I love the spitzhaubens in my flock though very much, they are one of my favorite breeds I have:)

Mine is still young at 2.5 months, and I only have one. She is chatty and very sweet. She used to seek out cuddles a lot and will let me pick her up 100% of the time. Now that she's gotten more of her independent spirit, it's only on her terms, like around treat time, or when she's already spent the day running around with her flock. I let mine free range from 7-8am until they put themselves to bed. My Spitz so far is content with the will of the flock...if they decide to hang out in the coop in the afternoon, she will join them. At night, she sometimes sleeps on the roost bar, but sometimes she prefers to cuddle with a couple of others that like to snuggle on the platform below their roost. She's a very determined and smart worm-getter and will climb on me to get an edge over the big girls (about 7-8 months old) for the treats. She hasn't exhibited any behaviors like roosting in trees and trying to fly over walls or fences yet.

Back
Top Bottom