Spitzhaubens

Pics
Here are some pictures of my spitz chick. It is about 6 weeks old. Do you guys think its a rooster?

It has the coloring of a spitzhauben but definately not the head or body shape. Also, they all have crest that should look more like a mohawk than a crest. A lot of them have been bred with polish just to add a little diversity to there gene pool but that gives them a little fuller crest. Ebay is selling hatching eggs and the breeder there looks like he has some nice stock.

Ths breed is not yet recognized by the APA in the United States. However, the Appenzeller Spitzhauben Club of America has adopted the United Kingdom's standards as the proposed standards for submission to the APA. The following is a brief summary of the proposed description for shape and color. The body should be moderately long and well-rounded giving the overall impression of a walnut shape. The breast is carried high causing the back to slightly slope from the shoulders to the tail. The tail is long and well spread and should be held at a right angle to the back. The shanks are medium in length with the most striking feature of this breed its head. The comb should be V-shaped and the nostrils are cavernous like those of other crested breeds, however the crest is very different from the crest of a Polish or Houdan. In the case of the Spitzhauben, the crest is medium in size and should stand erect and slightly forward rather than falling to the sides and back of the head. The plumage color and pattern is about the same as the Silver Spangled Hamburg with each feather ending in a distinct black spangle and the remainder of the feather being white. The beak should be bluish and shanks should be slate blue and the earlobes should be white.

Wow guys thanks. I had no idea she is not a spitz, but I was wondering where the crest is. Lol. She is really sweet and pretty. I really do hope she is a girl.

So I have a cackle hatchery silver spangled Spitzhauben hen. She is almost 1 year old and has been laying for a couple months. Last night I went to collect eggs after dark. She was in the nesting box so my first reaction was to be worried about her because this is a non-setting breed right? Well apparently no one told her this because she was broody as she could be on her 3 eggs lol so I have a broody, hatchery stock, non-setting breed hen that is only 11 months old. I took her eggs last night (currently have an order for hatching eggs) and put 5 dummy eggs under her. Time will tell if she is serious or not. If she is still setting in three days I will put Bourbon Red turkey eggs under her.

Last edited:
That's great! Exceptions to every rule I suppose. I've got a chamois hen about 11mo old who insisted on being broody. I tried to discourage by pulling her off the nest & pulling her eggs. She stuck ever feather on her body up & screamed, then proceeded to find more eggs to sit on. We did this for 3 days before I gave up & let her sit. Have no idea what kind of mother she will be but I will find out. She's certainly a determined broody :)

Back
Top Bottom